Introduce yourself!

Hey everyone from Surat, India! I learnt Clojure 1.5 years back, and have fallen in love with it ever since. I am a partner at Nilenso, and the author of Goose, a background processing library written in Clojure.

I like building easy-to-use products and large-scale software systems. I am also on Clojurians slack by the same username olttwa. Do come and say hi :wave:

2 Likes

To put it briefly, it was something like this: (-> ME undergrad-university (mentoring-professor emacs) linux grad-school (government-internship CommonLisp) (grad-ai-class java) (Office-of-Digital-Humanities fullstack-dev)

1 Like

haha Thanks WT.

Just out of curiosity, i logged in for the first time in a while and i have to recreate my account
do accounts get deleted after a while

a bit weird

Background processing seems like a perfect situation to make use of a Messaging broker. Congratulations on building Goose! Seems like itā€™d be as fun to use, as it was to build. Clojure 1.5ā€¦ that was back a bit (back then Clojure was the farthest thing from my mind).

Thanks for the kind words @Chill_Bro !
1.5 years ago, I learnt Clojure (and it was super fun!).
Apologies for the ambiguous statement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m a basement dweller and a dropout. I work minimal-wedge and are into all-things LISP. dropping by to learn what I can. Iā€™m enjoying Clojure as a hobbyist.

you can find me on VRchat under the nickanme of: LIMBIC; Iā€™m figuring out life and letting life figure out me as far as it goes things have been looking up recently, hope to get along with the people here.

2 Likes

Iā€™m an old man trying to learn new tricks. I have enjoyed attempting to learn Clojure and would love to have a community to socialize the experience with. I am a technology executive by day and a game hobbyist by night. I play board games, computer games, card games, puzzles, and just about any other form of game. Also I am addicted to candy.

3 Likes

Hi @everyone,

Iā€™m Alex, Iā€™ve been working with Clojure for the past (or 11 (+ 10) years.
I enjoy the rewards of FP and scientific computing,
I like to read, hike and play classical guitar - currently working on a Barios piece
Currently in Romania but Iā€™m probably moving towards being a digital nomad.

2 Likes

Hi Aspistasia. Thatā€™s cool to here that your are such a LISP fan. How did that happen? Was one of the LISPs the first languages you learned to program with?

haha You sound like a fun dude, dude. What got you interested in Clojure, and was it a while before you decided to actually learn it? Puzzles are enjoyable and card games are fun. I donā€™t know why, but when you said ā€œcomputer gamesā€ I pictured a Commodore 64.

Hey Alexandru, a Barios piece huh? Thatā€™s pretty cool. I heard his name several times when watching Spanish guitarists on YT. How long have you be playing classical guitar? What kind of piece is it (up tempo, ballad, very doable for you, or challenging, etc)?

Gosh 11+ years of Clojureā€¦ whatā€™s something that stands out as starkly different when you compare using Clojure today to when you first began to feel comfortable using Clojure.

1 Like

What kind of candy? Iā€™m a family man so share a lot of m&ms with my kids. I also love games of all kinds. Do you have favorite recommendations?

Clojure is probably very hobbyist-friendly because of fast feedback and tight core, being easy to get in to

Hey everyone,

Iā€™m Nathan, originally from Ethiopia but now chilling in Prague. Iā€™ve been hacking away as a Java dev for a while, but lately, Iā€™ve been diving into the world of Clojure. And let me tell you, itā€™s been a blast! Iā€™ve only been at it for about a month, but Iā€™m already hooked. The Clojure community is seriously awesome, and Iā€™m stoked to be part of it.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m Francisco, Iā€™ve just started into Clojure a month ago, Iā€™ve decided to give me a chance to learn the language after playing and learning with Emacs for 2 or 3 years. One of the remarkable events that spiked my curiosity was after realizing that the Emacs config file was actually written in elisp and that lisp dialects are a different way to do thing, from that point I went deeper into lisp dialects and then discovered Clojure.

I love computers and learning things here and there, like to learn/talk about science in general. I really hope to move forward with this language and be part of the community.

4 Likes

My name is Saing! I am from Cambodia.

I use Clojure in late 2019 after my mentor introduce me and I love it. fast forward I build one booking service for home fix and loyalty point API purely in Clojure.

I move working full-time for a company now because I am the only person using Clojure I need to work on other language. I still love Clojureā€¦

I love coffee and tea sometime.

6 Likes

Hi all, started learning Clojure end of 2022 but dropped off (sorry), so here is my attempt number 2 after getting back into functional style programming (+ python itertools operator functools), reading a few old papers on the lambda-calculus, and realising I never actually learnt a functional language.
Have started the Exercism track, have got hold of one Clojure text, and have both the quickref and cheatsheet at hand.
Things Iā€™m most nervous about/Things I think could be my downfall:

1. Expected level of knowledge when building things (Django hath spoiled me)
  2. Not being able to get through the initial learning hump quickly enough and losing steam
    Thinking about a nice, simple blog site as my first project once through the Exercism track.

A couple questions:

1. Recommendation on an open source library to serve as a great example of idiomatic and stylistically beautiful Clojure code?
  2. Iā€™ll have a trawl through this forum, but any recommendations on easiest web library to start with?
  3. Are people still using lein repl or is the clojure repl the go to now?
    Thanks!

I think most Clojurians who have blogs use a static site generator these days, like Cryogen, so they just write Markdown pages and have the Cryogen program generate HTML, including tag lists, archives, etc.

So Iā€™ll assume youā€™re going to build this purely as an exercise, to run locally on your machine, perhaps with a local database?

Thereā€™s certainly nothing like Django in the Clojure world ā€“ there are some (opinionated) templates that provide a curated starting point with a bunch of selected libraries, but I donā€™t think those are a very good way to learn Clojure.

Most web apps are built on Ring, and use the ā€œbuilt-inā€ Jetty adapter for Ring. Since youā€™ve used Django, you might like Selmer as a templating library. Youā€™ll want a library for routing (mapping requests to functions): I usually recommend Compojure to beginners as it is pretty simple to get going with, and then maybe look at reitit once you have a handle on the basics.

All the innovation and core team work is around the Clojure CLI and deps.edn (and build.clj) these days so thatā€™s what Iā€™d recommend. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with Leiningen: youā€™ll still find plenty of older books and tutorials using it and it still does the job, but thereā€™s not much work going on in that ecosystem these days.

If you want to look at a simple web app built with Ring + Compojure + Selmer etc: seancorfield/usermanager-example: A little demo web app in Clojure, using Component, Ring, Compojure, Selmer (and a database) (github.com) ā€“ the README there also links to a version that uses reitit instead of Compojure and Integrant instead of Component, if you want to compare & contrast.

You might this basic guide helpful too: Clojure Guides: Basic Web Development (clojure-doc.org)

1 Like

Thanks very much for that outline Sean. Turns out I was a little optimistic (naive) in my initial estimations of potential speed of competency. Have jumped onto the exercism track which has been nice to work on the basics.