Introduce yourself!

Hi, I’m David Nolen. I live in New York City. I’m currently a software engineer at Cognitect and I’m the lead developer of ClojureScript. I like coffee, but I also like green tea.

17 Likes

Hello,

I’m Gavin-John I live in England. I founded the Clojurians Slack community and I’m still on the admin team with @seancorfield @martinklepsch, Lover of the Clojure ecosystem, currently exploring it’s use in DevOps and Systems architecture.

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Gerasimos and I live between London, UK and Athens, Greece. I divide my time between coding, parenting and powerlifting. Currently I am building a product using mostly Clojure+ClojureScript and I am enjoying it pretty much! Clojureverse is a great idea for the community; bravo @plexus for the initiative!

3 Likes

Hi :wave:
My name is Arnaud, I live in Toulouse, France with my wife, son and little daughter.
I work at MonkeyPatch.io as a consultant, focusing on distributed systems and “data-intensive applications”.

4 Likes

hi everyone,

my name is Giorgos and I live in Athens, Greece with my wife and my daughter. I work at Skroutz.gr - an ecommerce, price comparison site, maybe the biggest Greek site in terms of traffic - as a developer. We write mainly in Ruby but we have managed to introduce Clojure :). Also I am a co-organizer of Athens Clojure meetup - not so active as we would like to be.

4 Likes

Morning all! I’m Adam, based in London, UK.

I’ve been using Clojure for the last few years but most recently with Wefarm (https://wefarm.org) where we’ve been busy building a service to help half a million (so far) small-hold farmers predominantly in East Africa get access to agricultural information without having access to the internet.

4 Likes

Hello everyone !

I’m Khalid Jebbari aka DjebbZ, live and work around Paris, France. Mostly web/front-end developer. I’ve been co-organizing the Paris.js monthly for about 4 years, until I had my first child :heart_eyes:. I’ve also co-organized the first editions of Best of Web, a non-profit conference that gathers many meetups in Paris (wonderful concept BTW !).

I discovered Clojure in 2013 and had the chance to learn more about it and work with Christophe Grand during 2014-2015. Since then, I’ve been searching for a way to work full-time with it, and found an opportunity in 2017 at Oscaro. Pleasure, joy and enlightenment since then.

I often contribute, mostly giving talks at local meetups and typos and documentation directly on Github :smiley:. I also help organize and gave some talks at the Paris Clojure Meetup.

Nice to meet you !

5 Likes

Hi! I’m Ricardo.

I’ve been using Clojure for about 4 years now, been involved in several open source projects, and given a few talks about it. I’ve spent most of the last 8 years building data-heavy systems with distributed teams.

I’m currently based in Berlin, introducing Clojure to a new team - it’s a fascinating experience to see someone learning Clojure on the job, as they’re building something against a deadline.

I also maintain two personal Clojure projects that I’ve open sourced: Memento, a note-taking application for aggressive introspection; and Relevance, a smart tab organizer for Chrome.

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m Tommi, from Tampere, Finland and I’ve been working professionally with Clojure for the last 5 years. Before that, did 15 years mostly Java, Scala and Enterprise Integration & Architecture Thingies.

Working at Metosin and semi-actively developing our open source libs, currently eager to ship out reitit.

Besides programming, enjoying lovely coffee, beer and spending time with the kids.

Some tea too.

5 Likes

Hi! I’m Brendan from Sydney.

I got introduced to Clojure in 2012 when I started at ICM Consulting, and have been using it pretty much full-time since then.
I’ve dabbled in a few open source projects over the years, including contributing a couple of plugins to the LightTable IDE before it was obvious that that was going no-where.

I had a team with various work colleagues competing in the Clojure Cup in each of it’s 3 events - in the last year we came 3rd with our IKEA visit planner (which unfortunately can’t be found anywhere - we’ll need to fix it up and host it somewhere).

I can be found sometimes at the Sydney Clojure User Group, or playing cricket on a Saturdays.

3 Likes

We talk a lot about Community with a capital C, but all it really is is people, lots of people just like you and me, all bringing their own unique voice to the table. Introducing yourself means people get to know a little more about you, so that you’re no longer a stranger, but a real human sitting on the other side of the screen.

If you’re new here, or you’ve been around for a while but haven’t introduced yourself yet then this is your chance. Tell us your story!

Some ideas of what you can share:

(repeatedly #(rand-nth [

• your journey towards Clojure
  • the things you’re working on
  • where you’re from or where you live
  • you elsewhere on the web (home page, Twitter or Github account)
  • how people can support you
  • any particular hobbies or interests
  • anything else you like to share

]))

This month in particular you can also anwer: What do you love or hate about the end of year season?

2 Likes

My name is Arne. I mostly did Ruby before discovering Clojure, and I’m absolutely delighted to have found such an elegant, practical language and friendly community.

You may know me from Chestnut or Lambda Island, I also keep this place going together with an awesome team of admins and mods. If you like any of the stuff I’ve done you can support me on Patreon.

I’m from Belgium and live in Berlin, but avoid being here in winter if I can help it. I like the last few weeks of the year because it’s usually a time for me to slow down, take a break, spend time with family, and to reflect on what’s been and dream about what’s to come.

I’m also a (former) juggler, hip-hop artist, poet, sound engineer, hobby cook, and language geek :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi there!

I am Aspasia a Clojure developer based in Amsterdam. I am organiser and tutor for the ClojureBridge NL chapter. I got into programming since a little girl, I have tried many programming languages since then and most of my professional experience before was in Java. I am fascinated with the lisp way of thinking and it turns out that it matches my way of thinking too!
For the rest I am an amateur ballet dancer, yogi and painter. I like to learn new things and create new experiences!

7 Likes

I love my secret winter project.

It started on Christmas day in 1981, when, at age 15, I got my first computer: a Commodore VIC-20.

These are the BASIC books + program cassettes! I tore through:

I sat down Christmas morning, plugged in, opened a book…and didn’t get up from my chair until I had worked through the whole thing, days later.

I had never been so compelled by anything that did not sport a pony tail.

Ever since, when the days get short, I feel the urge go larval and hack something fun. Just for me.

Looking back on Github I see these recent winter projects (ok and some fall projects too):

Part of the joy is not rushing into it—and not rushing out of it either. And not having any externally-imposed requirements. There is so much freedom in just making something that makes me happy. Making it in a way that makes me happy. Spending as much or as little time on any particular detail as suits me. No need to convince anyone before, during, or after!

I haven’t decided on the project for this winter. But there is no rush.

6 Likes

Hi,

My name is Daniel Szmulewicz. I was born in Belgium and live in Tel-Aviv.

I have traveled extensively around the world, worked as a journalist and published two novels in France.

I currently operate as a solo entrepreneur, writing apps for a living.

I am the founder and organizer of Clojure Israel, active since January 2013.

I have authored a couple of open source libraries in Ruby, Java and Clojure.

Every project I put in production uses the system library as a foundation, which I continually refine to boost liveness, composability and reach. Due to priorities and time constraints, I am very much aware of lagging behind on the documentation front. Sustainability of open source is a real issue in my experience. I think that initiatives like Clojurists Together are a step in the right direction. I have applied for a funding round in the hope to catch up.

I have just finished drafting a Wiki page describing Raamwerk, a web framework that ships with the system library. Comments are very much welcome.

I’m on Twitter as danielszmu, and my developer blog is here.

8 Likes

Hi,

I’m Sanat from Bangalore, India.

I love learning new languages - I’ve used Ruby before there was Rails. My primary environment though is the Microsoft platform. Linq and lodash were my gateway drugs to functional programming and once I discovered React and then Reagent, there was no going back.

Clojure changed the way I think and I keep coming back to it for inspiration. The community is full of super smart and friendly folks that are always willing to help.

Hope to continue my learning journey here.

I’m @sanatgersappa on twitter.

5 Likes

Hi,

I’m Andrew Zah, from South Carolina but currently living in 세종시, 대한민국 (South Korea).

I’m a self-taught developer. My college degree was unrelated (Media Arts) and I work as an EFL teacher now.
I started with Ruby and Ruby on Rails, and worked with Crystal :large_blue_diamond: for a while.

I switched over to learning Clojure/FP recently and I find it absolutely amazing. I’m not very good yet, but I enjoy this style of thinking immensely. I’m still working through Clojure for the Brave and True, and Applied Clojure :clojure: will be next. My goal is to become proficient in working with clojure and just learn more about programming in general. I’m still debating about going back for a masters pertaining to CS.

Outside of programming, my hobbies include acoustic recording, playing videogames, and tournament hosting. I hosted a few regional tournaments in South Carolina for Super Smash Bros. Melee. I also explore a lot in Korea.

Github: https://github.com/azah - mostly APIs
Website: https://andrewzah.com although it’s currently down. I’m rewriting it with Compojure/Hiccup :sunny:

5 Likes

Hi Clojurist,

I am Burin Choomnuan, originally Thailand currently living/working in Washington DC, US.
I started learning Clojure from around end of 2015. My background is Java, Ruby, and many others. I found Clojure when I first try to setup my Emacs config after watching EmacsRocks episodes. Most of the examples are in Clojure so that how I got started.

I started with learning Emacs for about 3 months (coming from Vim) and then I gradually started with Clojure and I was hook. Since then I have built couple of personal projects and many of small command line application in Clojure. As I have Java background it comes in very handy when I have to get down to code in Java when I absolutely have to.

I am a big fan of automation, so you may see many of my personal Github projects around that topics.

Clojure gives me joy and it fits well in my brain compare to other programming languages.
For me the best development environment is Emacs/Clojure + REPL.

Best,
Github: github.com/agilecreativity
Twitter: @agilecreativity
Web: choomnuan.com

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Andrew Oberstar from Minnesota in the US. My experience is mostly on the JVM: lots of Java, a good amount of Groovy, and then I started dabbling in Scala and Clojure. Clojure’s the one that stuck (for hobby work) and I’ve been poking around with it for the last few years. My day job is a very stodgy corporate environment (Java based), so my Clojure work is all in my spare time. I’ve really enjoyed the numerous Rich Hickey talks and Clojure books. This language and community really speak to the ideas that I feel are most important (for the kinds of programs I enjoy working on).

I’m easily distracted from building applications by tooling issues, so my open source projects tend to be in that space. I’ve been building Gradle plugins for many years and finally have made progress (with the other devs) on one for Clojure (gradle-clojure). It’s still in it’s early days, but is functional enough for basic Clojure development.

6 Likes

Hello!

My name is Jason Sich from Kalamazoo, MI in the US. I’ve done a lot of random things from software development for aerospace to collaborative drawing apps for the iPad. Currently my day job involves working on a large Rails app. I’ve been using Clojure/ClojureScript casually for the past 2 years. My interest came about after getting tired of working with complex classes, inheritance, types and architecture in .NET. I spent awhile doing JavaScript & NodeJS and eventually found Clojure/ClojureScript after working in React for a bit. I was hooked after listening to a few Rich Hickey & David Nolen talks. I’ve been mostly focused on web clients and have been building out a few side projects using re-frame.

4 Likes