Clojure: a pragmatic data driven language?

Is that ‘The Great Unification’ of 3 fundamental forces, from particle physics?

1 Like

Yes, the Great Unification Theory thinking, in scientific research, simplicity and unity are important guiding ideologies, and Clojure (lisp) and The Pure Function Pipeline Data Flow perfectly reflects this idea.

In addition, the traditional Chinese philosophy, the Tao ---- the great unification of everything.

Thanks. I entirely agree about Taoism (/Zen) philosophy being relevant too but my reading is fairly superficial so I wasn’t sure if Taoism had a Grand Theory too. I had similar reactions to homoiconicity and reading about The Way. I think humans are drawn to ever greater abstractions as a way of efficiently capturing knowledge but perhaps ‘enlightenment’ requires us to accept the possibility that some things may be unknowable, so we must trust our instincts. Acceptance of uncertainty seems to have been the direction of travel in physics for the last century.

You had me at “Lisp.” :grinning:

Pragmatism is a claim. If compared with Python for a given problem, it should be shown the equivalent Clojure code is 10 times shorter and 10 times as powerful. No concept, no Tao, just efficiency.

1 Like

simplicity and unity are a source of strength for achieving your goals. that is Tao:

Keep it Simple and Unified.

This is a job that looks simple and hard to do.

:grinning:

That’s not the full story. You’d also want to show that it would be more maliable to future extensions and modifications, and that it would lead to fewer defects, as well as take less time to code and test, and that it performs with better performance and scale given programmers of equivalent talent and experience in the respective language.

And that’s just really hard to demonstrate. Which is why simplicity is brought up. Because the empirical proof is really hard to put together, you need to approach it from a more philosophical angle, a proof from first principles. So if you can show that independent, unwoven, composable pieces are less prone to defect, and more amenable to modifications and extensions, and can perform efficiently and at scale. And then you can show that Clojure lends itself to build apps using such independent, unwoven, composable pieces. Then you’ve made a pretty good argument in my opinion. Maybe as good as you possibly can given how hard it is to demonstrate these things.

2 Likes