ATA is Hiring Clojurians!

Would you rather Babashka than bash?

We’re looking for someone who can apply functional techniques to
infrastructure-as-code automation, among other things.
We have some ideas, but we’re open to yours – that’s why you’d be here!

We have immediate openings on teams that include data scientists,
analysts, and data engineers.

Our shop favors Clojure and ClojureScript, though we’ll use whatever
is the right tool for the job.

We’ve found that Clojure is great for integrating different tools,
for example by generating and managing configurations, and
scripting cloud APIs. We’re keen to try
* using ClojureScript to script Pulumi
* using juxt/roll to generate Terraform templates
You probably have ideas of your own.
We’d love to talk to you!

3 Likes

Thanks @dornagilani,

not looking for a job, but curious:
is your data science stack in Clojure?

2 Likes

That’s a great questions @daslu !

Some are written in Clojure but majority is in Python.

1 Like

What is ATA? Where do we find out more?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Here is our website https://www.ata-llc.com

If you’re interested, please send me your resume to dgilani@ata-llc.com and I’ll forward it to our team and we can get the ball rolling.

It’s a company in the drones business, and they deploy “advanced programs” for the US military, as their founder boasts.

https://www.ata-llc.com/scottberg.html

If this doesn’t raise alarm, nothing will.

7 Likes

oh :confused: thanks @Daniel_Szmulewicz.

Hi @Daniel_Szmulewicz - thanks for the bump. :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes, some of our customers are within the federal space, including the military. I can assure you, though, that we’re not recruiting 'Gamers Who Kill" or anything nefarious like that. :slightly_smiling_face:
Scott was one of our co-founders, was an accomplished Naval fighter pilot, and we’re proud of his background.
Neat video, though. :wink:

Hello Dorna,

Thank you for the clarification. I can assure you that I never thought you were recruiting drone operators, who are users of the system. You may be hiring developers and data scientists that design the system, which is equally concerning. Please share the detailed mission statement of ATA LLC to lay those concerns to rest, keeping in mind that in the words of your founder it is the following: “Scott co-founded ATA, LLC, in 2008 with a focus on applying advanced analytics to hard targets.”

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Daniel-
Thanks for wanting to explore this. First off, this is a job posting, and we fully encourage people investigate further for themselves and we’re happy to talk with candidates interested in applying. Although I’m not sure the onus is on us to “to lay those concerns to rest,” I’ll indulge you. :slightly_smiling_face:
“Thank you for the clarification.”
Of course. I think it’s, at best, disingenious (and perhaps, at worst, dangerous), to conflate between nefarious actors and those who might work in the same domain.
“I can assure you that I never thought you were recruiting drone operators, who are users of the system. You may be hiring developers and data scientists that design the system, which is equally concerning.”
While that may be true, it also might be true that we’re designing systems to thwart dangerous actors like the one random video you linked. It’s tough to conjecture without knowing, and you’ve drawn several conclusions about our scope of work that are incorrect.
“Please share the detailed mission statement of ATA LLC to lay those concerns to rest,”
Our Value Statement is on our page, and reads as follows:
“We’re here to take your pain away. Getting started is easier than you think. Meeting your needs costs less and takes less time than many would have you believe. We deliver great technology and partner to maximize the value of your investment. If you’re willing, so are we.”
If you’re still curious, we have a further explication on our ‘About’ page. I encourage you to explore.
“keeping in mind that in the words of your founder it is the following: “Scott co-founded ATA, LLC, in 2008 with a focus on applying advanced analytics to hard targets.””
Context is important. Please read the bio in its entirety and understand that ‘hard targets’ does not refer to militarily targeting people. Nor does it refer to the smash hit JCVD Action Thriller from 1993 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107076/) :stuck_out_tongue:
Target, in this case, is a synonym for ‘problems.’ As in, we like to tackle difficult problems. Again, context is important.
Daniel, again, I’d caution you to not be so spurious in trying to denigrate a company that is trying to do the right thing, with an interesting stack, with interesting and fun methodologies. At our core, we’re here to help out the collective as well. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for this conversation.

@dornagilani I imagine it is not an easy job, to be in the position that has to answer the questions.

@Daniel_Szmulewicz @Nick_Brandaleone, thank you for demonstrating a healthy habit for such
situations: to ask about the substance and seek some clarity (unlike what I first did).
It seems important to be concerned about the causes the community and its forums are used for.

3 Likes

@daslu Thank you for the healthy, stimulating conversation as well :slight_smile: It’s important to ask questions.

For anyone else following this thread, I’ve had deeper discussions with a few people at this company (while also researching the existing gov. contracts they are involved with). One of is related to the FAA’s LAANC system. Watch the video at the bottom of this page: https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange/ . LAANC is an FAA effort to help hobby and commercial drone operators (like film makers, etc.) operate safely within the National Airspace. Their main site links to a UAS specific site here: https://www.ata-uas.com

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. It seems to be a company with several offshoots and connections in the industry, both civil and military.

The founder of the company claimed the following: “I built a service that supports 20,000 U.S. Intelligence Community users per year on the most classified networks aggregating and fusing 23 databases from 17 disparate intelligence agencies and activities. Turned the program from R&D to IOC to FOC in four years that beat out a ten year $100M effort by a Fortune 100 company.”
Source: https://www.f6s.com/w.scottberg

Seems odd to take pride in that after the Snowden revelations. Have you gained insight on that matter by any chance?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.