Building a tool for refactoring (renaming namespaces / moving functions)

Since there is no IDE which can rename namespaces and move functions while updating references in multiple projects for clj+cljc+cljs, I would like to try building this.

I have identified these problems so far:

• Load multiple source directories
  • Parse clj+cljc+cljs while keeping comments, whitespace, formating
  • Resolve and index all references
  • Determine the correct destination folder for any given (new) namespace
  • Determine the correct destination position in a file for any moved-in function
  • Create data which describes all the actions so it can be displayed (and modified) before execution

I hope rewrite-clj works on all file types and I can utilize it. This is where I would start investigating.

Do you have any suggestions what else to think about before starting to tackle this problem? Or which existing libraries would help? Thank you.

2 Likes

Going into the #rewrite-clj channel on Clojurians Slack would be good if you want to know more about that. There is an in-progress project called rewrite-cljc which will combine rewrite-clj and rewrite-cljs into one project, so it can be called from both Clojure and ClojureScript.

2 Likes

I don’t have any suggestions, but I appreciate the effort!

The ability to do advanced refactoring is one of the aspects of Java / C# I really appreciate, and I’ve missed being able to do that in Clojure. Note that I haven’t really put a lot of effort into understanding what CIDER already can do with regards to refactoring.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.