Clojure Berlin December 2017

Last meetup of the year! :slight_smile: We’ll have talks on ClojureScript + WebGL and an Emacs mode. Proper descriptions, location and RSVP can be found on the Meetup page.

This is an experiment in offering a venue for exchange around talks and discussions originating out of the meetup and overall Berlin community.

4 Likes

Plus there’s another surprise talk planned :chestnut:

1 Like

Is there going to be a stream or recording available?

Usually there is no such thing and I doubt that will change this time, sorry :slight_smile:

I recorded my own talk once, but it’s very much BYOT (bring-your-own-tripod).

2 Likes

Same here. What I sometimes do is record my screen during the talk plus microphone from the laptop. Or once @jelle brought a proper portable sound recorder and then I edited the two together afterwards. That was with this talk about reagent and re-frame.

1 Like

An unrepl related question:

How does it all relate to CLJS REPLs - is that something that has been considered during the design of the protocol?

CLJS is one of the hot topics now in UNREPL, if not the hottest. @pesterhazy can correct me if I’m wrong, but the idea is to start by providing an UNREPL implementation for self hosted CLJS. One of the big questions to answer right now is what is the best way to upgrade a CLJS REPL? that means: send a code to the REPL and block it completely while the UNREPL code takes over, without having async being a problem.

cgrand wrote some initial notes on it yesterday: https://github.com/Unrepl/unrepl/wiki/CljsJs

1 Like

Thanks again for being such a great audience! I was super impressed by the clojure community here in berlin.
I put up my slides here, as you surely noticed I skipped the performance stuff in the end so that could be of some interest: https://goo.gl/waFuCr

If there are any further questions, I’m happy to answer them here. I think clojureverse is a great idea and we need to fill it with content :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the talk! This was a great meetup \o/

2 Likes

I’m new in Berlin and the meetup was great, thanks for that.
My company (Nubank) just opened an office here. We are a brazilian fintech with 110+ developers doing mostly clojure.
I’d like to know how is the clojure community in Berlin (especially people that go to these clojure meetups), like: do people work mostly with clojure, how long people worked with clojure, what kind of applications you are most used to write in clojure, etc?
Of course I’d like to know how we could help the community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @claynon and welcome to Berlin :slight_smile:

There are a lot of quite experienced people in the Berlin Clojure community, many working as contractors, some also employed. I think a common area is server side applications but also React Native and generally frontend stuff is a recurring theme.

The one thing I’m always missing a bit in Berlin is companies who are willing to take on Junior Clojure developers. There have been many ClojureBridge events in Berlin and while it may not be the goal for everyone I think there definitely is an interest to move into Clojure professionally. Some local companies are just “too small to be able to afford hiring non-senior people” (paraphrasing and not necessarily agreeing).
So it would be really nice to see more companies also hiring Junior Clojure devs. :slight_smile:

I wonder why your company decided to open an office in Berlin? Isn’t London the place to be for anything fintech? :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the meetup and hope to see you next time :wave:

2 Likes

Hey @martinklepsch thanks :smile:

That’s great to hear. In Brazil Nubank is the only “big”-ish company doing clojure/clojurescript and very few small companies do clojure there.

We’re still settling in Berlin and in the very beginning (first months) we’ll probably look for people that have some knowledge in what we’re doing (we moved a part of the data infra team here, so we do some clojure + some spark/scala + etc). But we’re definitely hiring Juniors devs in the future (I’d guess we’ll start probably before july).

Since there is almost nobody doing clojure in Brazil we don’t mind hiring non-clojure devs. We usually look for people that are open to learn new stuff, part of our hiring process involve learning some clojure for instance. We also hired many junior devs in Sao Paulo and we’ll keep on doing that here. For instance Nubank is my first job and I was hired while still in college.

The office here (at least in the beginning) is an “engineer office” since it’s harder and harder to hire devs in Brazil (one of the reasons is that our hiring process is a bit hard). We looked at Berlin and saw that there is a functional programming community. Also, we talked with some people and got the impression that some people in the FP world didn’t find a company that they liked and was doing FP.
London is more expensive and I believe that the Brexit made people a bit uneasy with London. I’m really glad we came to Berlin, I enjoy Germany. :slight_smile:

2 Likes