Create category for newbie friendly issues?

Maybe it would be nice to have a little corner on ClojureVerse where project owners can post newbie friendly issues (both in terms of Clojure and on-boarding developers into a new project). People who would like to contribute, but don’t know exactly in which area of the Clojure open source ecosystem, can pick an issue there and work on it. This could also be a nice resource for people wanting to do something useful at meetups.

8 Likes

like “beginners” on Clojurians?

1 Like

I think this is a great idea. Let’s at least try it out and see if people use it.

What should we name the category?

There is already a beginners category, this new category would be for project owners to post in so beginners can find issues they can contribute to.

2 Likes

Some suggestions:

• New contributors
  • Where to begin?
  • Starter’s issues

I have avoided the word beginner since the category should capture not just good issues for beginners to Clojure as a language and ecosystem, but also for people already deep in Clojure looking for good places to start contributing.

1 Like

I have avoided the word beginner since the category should capture not just good issues for beginners to Clojure as a language and ecosystem, but also for people already deep in Clojure looking for good places to start contributing.

I agree.

1 Like

Meanwhile I think there might be to few newbies on ClojureVerse, which is not an obvious signal of whether or not Clojure is still spreading.

Screenshot from Google Analytics:

I also agree that we should perhaps don’t use beginner

New-contributors or where to begin imho is kind better.

I think in software we are all beginner in various domains, and having this label could help people who are experienced with a X domain to share something with others.

I think if we execute well, it could at least interesting for me to exit from the usual domain for learning something new at least one could have the opportunity! to learn new things , this is always an opportunity

I’ve created a new category, Starter issues, and wrote up some guidelines for people posting there: About the Starter issues category

Maybe we can get some buzz around this? Put up an announcement post, pick a hashtag, reach out to some prominent maintainers to get the ball rolling? Anyone here interested to help promote this thing?

1 Like

I like your post, but as I wrote in my opening post, I also would like that category to be for experienced Clojure developers that want to get started on a new OSS project, or just do some one off work if they have some spare time.

@borkdude I made the topic a wiki just now, are you able to edit it? if so go ahead and re-phrase as you see fit.

If you share it eg on Twitter, I for one can reshare it to increase its “weight”, and surely many people here can.

Thanks, I’ve edited the post.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.