Defn #37 Podcast Episode with Bozhidar is now available

Episode #37 with @bbatsov

8 Likes

Wonderful! I laughed out loud, making a fool out of myself, several times on the commute because of listening to this.

Totally great to hear someone take the side of nRepl in such a loud and clear way.

1 Like

Do people actually run patched versions of Clojure on production so they can manually apply patches that are already in JIRA? I was kinda shocked to hear that.

1 Like

Why would that be shocking - it is fairly standard practice for libraries and projects when there is a production issue, you can indeed create your own patched/hotfix version until the fixed version gets released.

Shocking in the sense that I have never had to do this with Java, Python, Node or Elixir — but of course it only reflects my experience or lack thereof. Looking for bugs on the runtime is usually a last resort and in the extreme case where it is a bug there, you’d probably work around it in your code rather than building the runtime from scratch.

I’ve no idea where I would even start: maintaining a private fork of Clojure and keeping track of patches applied would be a ton of work. I certainly would avoid doing this on a small team. I guess it depends on the severity of the bug.

interesting discussion. I was wondering why Bozhidar doesn’t quit his ruby job and start doing clojure for real.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.