Elements of Clojure Book Club

Big Takeaways from the survey so far. Which you should all be able to see

1. We have a good mix of experience levels which is great.
  2. We have too many people and too many time zones for one group.
  3. Everyone’s expectations in terms of what they want to learn are roughly the same, which is good.

It seems most people are clustered closely around UTC+5 (Eastern) with around 9 ppl and UTC with about 7 ppl.

I’m going to set up two google groups (for each timezone) with Google two calendars and set the first meeting dates for next weekend. As most people preferred email i’ll be sending this information out via email as well.

If something feels off with this plan let me know and will adjust.

On the technical side, i learned that

• google forms dont behave quite like i expected.
  • I should have come up with a more specific format for timezones
  • It would have more consistent to say intermediate instead of junior
3 Likes

A bit late to the party but I filled in the survey now. Thanks @drewverlee for taking the initiative!

1 Like

I set the first meeting for this weekend. Everyone should have gotten an email … or 3! Sorry for some possible redundant emails. Looking forward getting this going.

Where can I check the results of the survey?
I’m afraid that Sunday isn’t going to work for me, and the suggested times even less.
However, I believe it’s really hard to find the time that will fit everybody.
Do the results of the survey suggest that the best frequency is once per week and the timezones indicate the proposed times?

I would like to participate in this kind of book club, but the book is still in draft and I’d much rather I buy a paper version when it’s out. Also, I’m currently swamped with work/life so I can’t find time anyway.

Perhaps we can organise another book club after the book is out?

Where can I check the results of the survey?

Its possible only I can see all the survey results. I expected there to be an option after you filled in your answers to get the at least your results (not as helpful obviously).

Here are the answers to the chapters and timezones:

• There were a lot of suggestions for “2 weeks per chapter”. Which Zach also felt was reasonable. So i’m suggesting we read half a chapter a week because otherwise, I feel there will be too much to discuss.

I’m afraid that Sunday isn’t going to work for me, and the suggested times even less.

Sorry to hear that. There are currently two identical meetings (same goal, pages, etc…) each week to help accommodate more people, on at and another at

12am (midnight) UTC on Saturday
12pm (noon) UTC on Sunday

Neither works for you?

• I’m open to suggestings on how to find the optimal timeslots based on the survey results. I found a lot of people were at UTC+5 and UTC.

but the book is still in draft and I’d much rather I buy a paper version when it’s out.

Is zach planing on a paper version? That would be very cool

Feel free to follow along as best you can. There will be places to post questions and see answers.

Perhaps we can organize another book club after the book is out?

I dont see why not. Its really just about bringing people together.

A print-on-demand hardcopy will be available once the final draft is complete. There’s no set date for that, but I think another reading group would be worthwhile whenever it occurs.

1 Like

I’d much rather I buy a paper version when it’s out.

I would normally say “Save Trees”, but this books seems like it would have a long shelf life.

I’m not sure if the first one happened but I hope it was great. I was completely surprised to see my two options were 7pm on a saturday or 7 am on a sunday morning.

I’m not sure if the first one happened but I hope it was great

The first meeting did happen but it covered just the introduction (1 page). I plan on creating doing meeting minutes for the rest of the meetings.

I was completely surprised to see my two options were 7pm on a Saturday or 7 am on a Sunday morning.

Why were you surprised?

I’m going to look at the attendance and possibly create a third meeting on wed at 8pm EST.

Next meeting is scheduled to check out google doc for more. feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.

google doc link

1 Like

I’m super bummed to be missing tonight’s meeting because of a prior commitment, but everyone should be reading and attending. The conversation is simply wonderful.

No worries Chris! Looks like no one is able to join tonight (its 8:15 and I’m all alone on the hangout).

Hopefully, the people are clear on the meeting times and options. There are three repeat meetings a week so hopefully, plenty of chance to make it to one.

I filled out the survey and would love to join. I’ve had a lot of fun with this kind of book club in the past (reading SICP). In that one, we met on Wednesday evenings around 7pm UTC-6, which might inconvenient for people beyond +/- 2 hours, but it worked well for our group.

I want to apologize for not being able to make these, these last few weeks haven’t given me any breathing room. I encourage people to post any questions that arise from the discussions to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/elements-of-clojure.

1 Like

I added you to calendar invites @newswim. make sure to check the link in the invite for some clarifying notes or ask me questions here.

1 Like

I’m going to be sending out review questions per chapter. I’ll be sending out a google form probably just to those that have attending meetings so far. These aren’t meant to be taken seriously, just reading the questions is probably more then enough to fullfill the goal of reviewing a couple days after going over the material.

If you want to be hardcore you could use something like ANKI.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.