(FAKE) CarbonLegit builds a meta-registry for Voluntary Carbon Market projects

NOTE: This is a fake company introduction, posted here as an example.

What CarbonLegit does

CarbonLegit builds an online platform centralising information about projects and credits of the Voluntary Carbon Market (VCM). This helps purchasers find carbon credits matching their criteria in terms not only of certification standard and price, but also project technology, co-benefits to local communities and ecosystems, and volume availability, while rewarding high-credibility projects, and making the market more accessible.

We use Clojure at every level of our technology stack: data ingestion pipelines, transactional backend, web UI. We use Crux as our main data store, with materialized views in Redis and ElasticSearch. We rely heavily on Clojure and Crux in order to make our information model generic and dynamic, which is valuable given the diversity of information we host about VCM projects.

More info at thisisafakelink.carbonlegit.io

How is this sustainability-oriented?

We believe that the Voluntary Carbon Market has an important role to play for mitigating climate change, and that our platform will help make this tool more effective, accessible, and reliable.

In particular, we think that CarbonLegit will contribute to:

1. making the Voluntary Carbon Market more efficient, as the relevant market signals such as credits availability, price, technology and co-benefits will be readily available, without having to go through retailers. Concretely, this means that buyers will pay for projects because they are impactful (not because they are good-looking).
  2. Favouring high-integrity projects. This is important as the demand for carbon credits is expected to grow rapidly (15-fold by 2030), which might strengthen the temptation to buy from uncertified or low-integrity projects.

As such, CarbonLegit is in line with the Taskforce on Scaling Voluntary Carbon Markets (see in particular Recommended Action 9: implement advanced data infrastructure, in the Final Report of the TSVCM. What better choice than Clojure to do that?).

NOTE: while I wrote this as a fake example, I do believe this is a good idea. I’m not currently in a position to implement this myself, but do feel free to take on the challenge. - Val