Free web tutorials

Hello,

Does someone know a good free resource to learn web development with clojure.
I have a few projects I like to make but I want to learn to make a website with some react parts first.

Regards,

Roelof

3 Likes

I think the Clojurescript Podcast by @jacekschae is fantastic.

To me, it has been very helpful, always so careful about making things clear and coherent.

1 Like

There is also this: ClojureScript + Reagent Tutorial with Code Examples

1 Like

Thanks all

what about this one : Learn Re-Frame Free

The free versions just make up part of the paid courses, and are not complete by themselves, which is why I didn’t mention them in answering your question. :slight_smile:

I am taking the paid courses by Jacek, and I think he does a very good job in demonstrating how he approaches making web apps using Reagent and Re-frame. It can sometimes be a bit advanced (e.g. he doesn’t really explain Hiccup) but there are other resources (esp. Purelyfunctional.tv) that are free and which explain in detail, and can complement Jacek’s course.

@fatmonky oke but the course you are reffering to has a lot of links to paid courses and does not make a full website.

The rest of the site has a lot of free material too, eg a Clojurescript tutorial

To clarify, are you talking also about the backend, or just front end?

Seems stupid, but there’s a lot of resources on clojurescript.org… :wink:

You can look at the documentation for libraries. Start looking @ GitHub first, generally following the links you find it, else, google or DuckDuckGo :wink:
For example for ReFrame: re-frame

Another useful source: GitHub - hantuzun/awesome-clojurescript: A community driven list of ClojureScript frameworks, libraries and wrappers.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think it really depends on one’s starting point: if one’s an experienced programmer learning clojure, that’s quite different from someone starting from a much more blank slate (like me hur hur). I think what you describe would work for an experienced programmer who already has mastered another language.

Speaking from personal experience, many of the existing resources can be quite overwhelming for very new learners: it’s just information overload, and there are many underlying assumptions that the reader should already know certain things. Felienne Hermans’ talk on Strange Loop was quite good at explaining why, from a cognitive science standpoint, that isn’t ideal for learning as it is cognitive overload of the working memory.

So I really appreciate some of the existing work done by Eric Normand and Jacek to break things down into detail, and to show through their video courses. I also appreciate the Clojurescript podcast for breaking things down, helping to make sense of the ecosystem.

@RoelofWobben1 - I forgot about this free resource too:
https://betweentwoparens.com/ (he also has a couple YouTube videos)

1 Like

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Learn ClojureScript yet, which is a high quality free online book that teaches ClojureScript programming from the very beginning.

1 Like

first “problem”

I have this in my project :

{:deps {org.clojure/clojurescript {:mvn/version "1.10.773"}}
 :paths ["src"]}

but still I see this error :

clj -m cljs.main --compile my-cljs-project.core --repl
Please install rlwrap for command editing or use "clojure" instead.

im working totally in wsl on windows

Hmm, I’m not sure how well CLI tools will run on WSL, or how good WSL is generally. If you have the resources on your computer, I would highly recommend setting up a virtualbox to run you’re preferred flavour of Linux, and these days you can just download a ready to go image from say Vagrant or so many other places.

rlwrap is just a program which allows you to scroll backwards/forwards through your command-line history, and is well worth installing as a general tool, it’s very small.

cljis just a wrapper for clojure which tries to run clojure through rlwrap if it is installed, so if you don’t want to install rlwrap for any reason, then just run clojure with the same arguments. If you are on a more recent version of CLI tools, you should probably run it with the -M flag rather than -m.

1 Like

@RoelofWobben1 try sudo apt install rlwrap.

thanks , that did the job

The CLI tools work really well on WSL because you’re running Linux. WSL2 is extremely solid and VS Code on Windows has native integration with WSL2 so you can have all your Clojure code, git, REPLs (started via the CLI) and run VC Code on Windows and it is seamless.

If you’re on Windows 10 or Windows 11, running WSL2 is what I would recommend, and you can pick which Linux you prefer to run on WSL2 (I use Ubuntu).

I do all of my Clojure development on Windows this way: running everything on WSL2 except VS Code. I also have Docker for Windows installed with the WSL2 integration and that lets me run docker-compose up on Ubuntu/WSL2 and have it bring up my full development environment (two Elastic Search instances, Redis, and Percona).

That’s really interesting, I had no idea WSL(2) existed until I saw these posts. For years I was running off a dual-boot setup, then I got a faster laptop and found the VirtualBox setup to be much more convenient, running on a Windows 10 machine.

So my question to you is: how does WSL2 compare to using VirtualBox? What am I losing/gaining by going with a WSL2 setup?

WSL2 is the native Microsoft solution. So you get updates via the Store, you get a variety of Linux distros via the Store. You get “native” integration into a lot of things – VS Code and Docker, as mentioned already. WSL2 is Microsoft’s focus for supporting developers by providing full user-mode Linux completely integrated with Windows itself. The ability to run Linux apps from Windows and Windows apps from Linux. Linux graphics apps (e.g., X11) are natively supported in Windows via WSL2. This is where you’re going to get all the performance and integration focus going forward.

1 Like