Hammock Driven Development?

Hi!

We all seem to throw around the term Hammock Driven Development as if it’s obvious, as it continues to reverberate with truth throughout the Clojuresphere. I’ve even seen things to the effect of “Familiarity with HDD” listed in Clojure job ads!

Rich “cites?” an article in Scientific American as the basis for the style of workflow that I so resonate with that I never thought to question it all this time. It seems to be some kind of thing that we share, sometimes to the point that it is easy to forget that not everyone thinks/works like this.

Has anyone sourced this reference or attempted to formalize it, or draw connections to other philosophies expressing aspects of the idea? I’ve come across some, mostly in the fields of:

• Cognitive science
  • Meditation

But nothing that I feel really nails it the way Rich does, and clearly embody the notion the way I see it used by us.

Has anyone looked into this?

1 Like

Interesting point. I don’t know of any related material, like a study of methodologies or practices that really look at the impact of just putting a lot of thought into a project before you get started.

I think, part of it depends what you take HDD to mean. I never took it to mean waterfall, which I believe has some empirical data showing that it doesn’t really improve on deliverables, quality or timing.

I always took HDD to mean, don’t just pick the first solution that gets you to the next move. Spend more time exploring the solution space, and think a few moves in advance (or as many moves as you have time and patience), to really figure out the better move to make.

Which, hey, maybe it’s a waste of time, if the move you end up taking after doing the HDD on it isn’t any better then the first move you thought of making for example. Or it’s only marginally better and not worth the extra time in the end.

But, I also always thought of the Rich Hickey talk as more of a thought experiment. Like what if you did take way way longer to explore the solution space at every move? What would happen? And that this is what he did with Clojure, which you may argue did result in something better or not.

I think for me, the biggest contrast to HDD is what I call Fast Software (a play on fast fashion).

The idea is, build software as quickly as possible. Assume you don’t care for it to be throwaway. That’s the whole point. Isn’t good enough? Throw it away. Doesn’t work well? Throw it away. Can’t extend to your next use case? Throw it away. Build a whole new one super fast again. Rinse and repeat. And maybe in the same amount of time as a slow and well thought out approach like HDD, you end up with a result which is just as good or better.

A benefit of fast software as well is, the business gets value much quicker, even if the first iteration wasn’t very good, it often can already be usable.

A downside of fast software is that once people start using the first iteration, transitioning them to the second, third, forth, etc. becomes a ton of work and sometimes never happen. So you don’t get to go through the process more than once.

Personally, I think for learning and honing your craft, fast software is pretty good. Want to be a better programmer? Write a bunch more programs, and a much more varied set, always pushing yourself. I think Rich Hickey talks about this as well.

Anyways, I have no conclusions here, just more thoughts.

2 Likes

Scientific American August/September 2008 https://panet.andover.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/SCIE/SCIE/science%20490/brain%20development/quiet%20sleeping%20brain%20at%20work.pdf “Quiet! Sleeping Brain at Work” – Rich’s slides quotes the “Fast Facts” from the bottom of page 24 (the third page in that PDF).

And here’s the text transcript of the talk: https://github.com/matthiasn/talk-transcripts/blob/master/Hickey_Rich/HammockDrivenDev-mostly-text.md (which is easier for some folks to digest than the video).

4 Likes

I read Rich’s argument as do not ignore diffuse thinking. The Basecamp guys are arguing for something similar in It doesn’t have to be crazy at work.

4 Likes

Barbara Oakley might be the one who coined the diffuse mode learning term.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.