Introduce yourself!

Rashawn, living in Beijing China. Start learning clojure only several months ago. Emacs brings me to lisp and lisp brings me to clojure. I mainly work on 3D stuff in frontend, mostly WEBGL and javascript.

I’m also working on a personal project called GokuRakuJoudo, which enables user to config the macOS key binding software karabiner with edn file instead of json file. I suppose there’s a lot wrong use case and patterns in the project. And I’ll keep learning and polish the project.

Seeing some of clojure versers got the chance to write clojure in their company, that’s my dream!

8 Likes

Hi - I’m Gary,

After 20+ years of building systems in small and large firms I’ve taken a fairly significant change of direction and now co-own an IT recruitment firm. I’ve done VB, C, C++ and Java but never touched functional programming until a client of my new firm asked for some help to find talented Clojure developers.

Being different from other agencies I wanted to make sure me and the team know what we’re talking about so hence came here to learn. The group looks great with lots of lively debate so am looking forward to learning / contributing.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Luka Komovec from Slovenia. Just to bore you with some details … the Levenshtein distance between my last name and Slovenian word for elbow is 1. That’s why I fabricated a pseudonym Luca L. Bow and readable version of it’s shorter form as doubleelbow. It’s a pun on my actual name – admittedly a bad one because it has to be explained - and it’s nearly a palindrome. I like puns but I think that jokes that need to be explained are jokes.

I look at programming as problem solving activity and until finding clojure I never thought a language could make such a difference. It just never gets in the way.

Currently I’m working on capital, a library that helps with calls to external systems especially when unexpected / temporary failures happen.

5 Likes

Hi everybody! :slight_smile:

I am Mauricio, an spanish programmer living now in Brazil, my only contact with a lisp family language was scheme during my faculty years, 25 years ago, along those years i have been working mainly in c++ and python super boring projects… so boring, that the only fun i have been programming during this millennium was making retro games in assembly for old 80s computers :crazy_face: … And now, i want to recover the fun in my job and I believe that Clojure is the key to it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am Emeka. I participated actively during Clojure early years. I left about 6years ago. However I have decided to return and participate with you all . I would like to be active and engaged , I am willing to close the gap I have .
I would like to join active projects so as to learn and improve myself.

Emeka

3 Likes

Cool! Have a look at What is CLJ-Commons?

I got introduced to Clojure in an adtech company when I was doing their frontend dev - coffeescript/python in 2013. I was not really a front-ender but more like full stack, however I was super interested in the startup itself, thus I really didn’t care what the language(s) was.

Meanwhile when the realtime systems was completely written in Clojure and I was wrapping most of the front-end work, I jumped into the wagon to write some 3rd party integrations using Cascalog(Hadoop). That was a tough start, grasping everything and dealing with all those arrows and parenthesis at the beginning. I wouldn’t suggest anyone to start from! :stuck_out_tongue:

From that moment on, the power, simplicity and effectiveness took me over. However in Netherlands especially in Amsterdam finding a Clojure job wasn’t that easy afterwards. I had to chance to implement another data pipeline using clojure, and then became a Clojure freelancer for a while which did not last for long. Afterwards I needed to stay on the Python side for a while but still doing Big Data / Engineering work.

I was also a speaker at the Dutch Clojure days in 2016, and also planning to do another talk for 2019 with a better story to tell!

Right now, I am the Lead Data Engineer within the AI group of the Fd.nl ( Financial Times of The Netherlands) and we are building projects with ML & AI and I am mostly the guy who builds all the infrastructure, data pipelines, and the tooling around it. I myself the only engineer, the rest of the team is data scientists writing mostly in Python but also currently in the process of learning Clojure!

The first project was Smart Radio https://medium.com/a-tale-of-2-from-data-to-information/serverless-smart-radio-1cabcab8de30 and now we are busy with the Recommender System for the fd.nl. Especially the recommender system is quite a cool project, lots of moving parts, pretty cool tech and there will be also another series to talk to about. Anyways enough chit chat.

I am originally from Istanbul, Turkey and I moved to Netherlands in 2008.

You can find me on internet https://twitter.com/bahadir.cambel or https://bahadir.io or http://linkedin.com/in/bahadircambel

If you have any suggestions for the new starter courses/tutorials that would be great. I have already passed the https://www.braveclojure.com/ Clojure koans. Sad to see 4clojure is gone.

Would be also interested to hear if you are using Clojure for Data Science. We recently bought the book Clojure for Data Science and looks great. We are also using kixi.stats to do some computations for the Recommender systems already!

Thanks and if you have any questions, ping me on Twitter or here! Take care

2 Likes

It is not gone, right?

1 Like

I think not. I still find it here: http://www.4clojure.com/

1 Like

you’re right, I got confused.

2 Likes

Mystery solved, apparently our corporate network somehow blocks the 4clojure.com!

Maybe they are afraid you will learn too much, too cheaply?

more like produce too much in too little time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’m Simon and I work on a big Clojure/ClojureScript project in the Danish public sector. This is my day job. I consider myself quite lucky that I get to write Clojure all day and get paid for it.

I also work on sino.study, which is a Chinese dictionary (and soon-to-be grammar tool) - also written in Clojure/ClojureScript. This is my passion project, so I experiment a lot and try to stay updated on new technology. I’ve been working on and off on it for about a year, but it’s not quite done yet.

7 Likes

Hello, everybody
I’m not a software developer (and I’ve never been), but all my computer journey, so to say, started from Basic/Assembler/Turbo Pascal. Currently I’m working as system administrator, automating things with PowerShell, but want to learn something real. Tried Scala, but was not excited, so my friend suggested Clojure and my wow-switch got triggered. I’ve been preparing my brain for it with Rich Hickey’s talks for a while, and now it goes pretty slowly, but I’m remaining quite resolute.

7 Likes

Hi @SyBorg,
You don’t need to be a software developer -with pedigree/diploma, and everything. There’s quite many talented people out there with the skills and abilities, and importantly with the resolution (just like you) to learn and develop themselves. See for instance Alvaro Videla’spowerful story

Good luck with your learning journey,

1 Like

Hi All,

I’m Jon Pither and I work for JUXT.pro on various projects using Clojure. Lovely to join and meet you all! Currently thinking about the successor to our XT16 conference, XT20 in 2020! (XT16 was here: https://juxt.pro/blog/posts/XT16-after.html).

Love to chat about all things, random or otherwise,

Regards,

Jon.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Michael. I’m an Australian living in Tokyo. I’m a hobbyist programmer; Ruby was my first love but I’ve recently discovered Clojure and have been enjoying it immensely.

My two kids require a lot of attention so I tend to code on my phone, using the iOS app Blink to connect to a Raspberry Pi running my development environment.

Happy to meet you all!

1 Like

Welcome! :slight_smile:

I did something along those lines a couple of years back, but with an Android tablet. I really enjoyed the mobile experience, but I eventually had to abandon the workflow because I could not use an external screen (or a USB-connected keyboard). Is that something you have experience with?

I’ve thought about going ‘full mobile’ and using something like an iPad for when I want more screen real estate but, at the moment, if I do want a larger screen, that’s when I bust out the laptop.