Introduce yourself!

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for doing it so late after registration. I am Pankaj (Pronounced: Punk + edge). I am a web developer for yrs now my last job was about Rails/Go/Nodejs but mostly the first two. I have on and off learnt clojure, i have completed 2.5 books on clojure. Clojure for the brave and true, Clojurescript Unraveled, and currently reading Joy of Clojure. I made a small tetris in Om/clojurescript.

I have studied lisp/scheme in the past, and implemented a scheme interpreter in C.
So not a lisp noob i like clojure because of the amazing API compared to other lisps. and even better than scheme srfi’s.

Haven’t build a full backend in clojure yet, looking forward to learning some framework soon.
Any suggestions on what to study for the backend does Joy of clojure cover any backend stuff?

BTW, i live in India.

Github :
Twitter : @pankajdoharey

Thanks and Regards.

Hey Inge, are you aware that DNV GL uses a Clojure-built platform for digital coaching? DNV GL is a Cognician customer! It’s awesome to find out that DNV GL also builds with the Clojure stack! :slight_smile:

Very cool :slight_smile: I’m not a leader so didn’t use your software so far!

DNV GL is a very large organization, so it’s hard to get an overview of what everyone’s doing. But so far we bumped into one more team doing Clojure full time, in Spain :slight_smile:

Yes, I do speak Chinese.

Would you like to join us on WeChat?

My name is Maris. I work as clojure[script] developer. I enjoy programming in clojure :grinning:
I am from Latvia but I live in London now.

Hi, my name is Laurent. I’m from France.

I heard about Clojure with Rich Hickey’s talks on Simplicity and that greatly influenced me in the way that I program and design the softwares that I make.
I’ve been a java programme for about 15 years. I’m a beginner in Clojure but I would like to be able to work with this language. There seems to be so much to gain from all those concepts in Clojure, immutable datasctructures, funtional programming, REPL, the community and the so many librairies, and the plethora of parentheses!!! :slight_smile:

Happy to be a clojurist, I hope to learn more with you guys!

Hi, my name is Christian. I’m from Germany.

I have started Clojure in 2012 because I was frustrated by the lack of productivity and expressivity when I was working on collaborative infrastructure in form of a voting tool (Votorola) in Java. I have been very happy with Clojure(Script) so far (I have also learnt JavaScript, R, Python and a bit of Haskell in the meantime) and have built a set of cross-platform libraries in replikativ. I have just started a company that is managed like a cooperative around Clojure and is supposed to provide the commercial side for distributed system consulting.

I have also just finished my master’s degree in Bayesian Deep Learning and will start a PhD working with Anglican in Vancouver soon. I think Clojure is still unique in the space of programming languages and I will try to work to make it more approachable for data science. It is still a bit lacking there and I would like to hear other people’s opinions’, both about the data management and state replication side of replikativ and what needs they have to do data analysis in Clojure. Clojure has allowed me to be much more productive and I hope that this will be applicable to teamwork as well.

Happy hacking!

Long time LISP/Scheme and Emacs user. Using Clojure the last few years. Enjoying it.
Originally from Bombay, India. Now in the Los Angeles, California area.

my name is Manuel and I am writing from Vicenza (Italy).

I’ve been working with Clojure/ClojureScript for almost a year, but been in love with it for three years now. I am an Emacs junkie who can take a bit of Haskell for a change every now and then.

More about me on my website:

Happy to join this community. :blush:

nil post must be at least 20 characters

Some really good art there man.

Hey dorab, nice to see a fellow Indian. I am surprised Bombay had LISP/Scheme users back in the day? I am guessing 10-15 yrs?

Finally decided to sign up for ClojureVerse. Hi! I’m Tim Baldridge.

I started programming when I was 10 with GWBasic on a 386 I cobbled together out of parts in my Dad’s basement. From there I moved on to QBasic, then C, VB, PHP, Python. I started looking into functional programming around 2008 and got into Erlang. From there I did some work in Ruby and C#. Around 2010 I found Clojure and that changed my brain for the better. I started working for Cognitect in 2012, and most recently moved on to Cisco’s ThreatGrid (still using Clojure).

For me, languages always felt limiting. I pushed C# into some strange areas with on-the-fly code generation via Linq.Expressions, but it always felt like I was fighting the syntax. Same with Erlang, there was no way to customize the syntax there, and the process model seemed to limiting for tasks that were always running on a single box. Clojure hit that sweet spot of being functional and making mutable things awkward, while giving me powerful tools for flexibility at the same time.

Hi Pankaj

Sorry if I gave the impression that the LISP was in Bombay.
I came across LISP and Emacs in the late 70’s at UCLA.

Where in India are you currently based?

Ohh nice to know. I am currently based in Ahmedabad.

Hey there.

I am a brand new Clojurist, having just finished reading ‘Clojure for the Brave and True’ this past weekend. I come from the not so distant land of Common Lisp, where it occupied nearly all of my free time for 10 years, and before that I dabbled in Python for a couple years.

I have heard lots of nice talk about Clojure in the last 1-2 years, and I always dismissed it as “just another Lisp”, not bothering to look into what it was about. For the same amount of time, I have read multiple books on about a dozen different languages, hoping to find one that interested me enough to use in addition to Common Lisp. While there were a lot of languages that interested me, most of them were either too immature, or too difficult to use in a practical manner, so it left me continuing to use Common Lisp exclusively for a long time.

Last week, about half way through a book on Haskell, I decided it wasn’t what I wanted, and decided to look at a language closer to home: Clojure. I just so happened to have a copy of “Clojure for the Brave and True” that I bought not too long ago, and over the weekend I read it.

After reading that book and viewing a few Clojure keynotes on the Internet, it pretty much changed the way I think about programming and how code should be written. Clojure is the nicest language I have ever seen, hands down. At this point in time I have only written about 100 lines of code, and I can honestly say that Clojure is not going to become my secondary language alongside Common Lisp – it is most definitely going to become my primary language.

I still have a lot to learn, coming from Common Lisp, a language which has encourages me to write in a mutable fashion, and which is lacking lot of constructs of Clojure, but that is a journey I look forward to.

Hey mfiano, nice to see a long time lisper here. I am mostly hobby common lisp programmer with zero commercial exp with lisp, and i just had a similar experience, clojure really changed my mind without the tall claims of strictly typed languages like Haskell, it narrows down mutation to few local sites or fixed global sites. The API and syntax of Clojure is cleaner than common lisp.

Hi everyone! I’m a data scientist working for a huge Italian insurance company and I’m trying to sneak Clojure in as much as I can :wink:!

My aim is to shift more towards building data intensive products than analysis and modeling and I think Clojure can become my secret weapon.

In case you have resources about ETL, pipelines and services in Clojure please let me know! We can discuss them together especially if you do the same stuff for living :grin:

I agree completely. I am really enjoying this language. Nice to hear from another long time common lisp hobby programmer!