Isn't Clojure overkill for small web apps?

Yeah, makes sense to self-host, then db access is quicker. Thanks for explaining the context of how you find Directus

BTW, I forgot to mention, the link
https://www.violina-petrychenko.de/en/termine

doesn’t work but this one does:
https://www.violina-petrychenko.de/de/termine

SEO tip: might be worth including meta description tags the pages, if search engine visibility is important for your client.

Hi, thanks! The English link does work on my side, actually all three languages do… weird. Does it give you 404?

Also thanks for mentioning the meta tags… I have learned about them since, but haven’t gotten around to backport some of what I’ve learned from later sites to this first one.

(for specifics of that site, feel free to PM me, I want to avoid monopolizing this thread)

FYI, babashka with httpkit server was released as 0.2.1.

1 Like

I use Wordpress for all my non-Clojure stuff; or I should say, I’m in charge of Wordpress. Lots of it. The biggest plusses I find in WP is good interfaces for non-programmers to do CRUD stuff, and a truly massive ecosystem with a tried-and-true robustness (despite being on PHP).

Very late to the party here, but as a long time “CRUD-like” application builder (and as a proficient, Clojure developer who uses currently Clojure professionally), I still can’t come close to the efficiency of Rails or Laravel when building CRUD applications in Clojure. This is not a language deficiency, but, in my opinion, a limitation of framework adoption in the Clojure world. I’m talking mainly of server rendered applications, which are the norm for these type of applications. Front-end single page application frameworks are great, but in my experience, overkill for the application. Coast is close (and some very nice work by a dedicated person, but still doesn’t benefit from community adoption. I’m afraid that to see a Clojure CRUD framework begin to stand out, it will take a lot more adoption by the broader community. In the meantime, I’m happily productive in Ruby/Rails with my CRUD apps.

It’s somewhat timely that you’ve responded to my post from last August at this point in time: at work I’ve been “migrating” a legacy CRUD app to Clojure and after manually writing a bunch of handler functions that process fairly simple forms, I’ve abstracted some of the work out into an internal library called, imaginatively, crud-form. It is mostly centered on two functions: one to handle nearly all of the basic form processing and database insert/update – leaning heavily on Spec for validation and exoscale/coax for data coercion, and a second one to turn Spec errors into readable error messages for users leaning heavily on the phrase library.

Although it’s doing a lot of heavy lifting for me, the invocation – taking a data source, the form parameters, a database table name, a Spec, and various processing options, several of which are functions – is often almost as long as the rote code it would replace: the joys of generic processing when there are always edge-cases and overrides and custom logic. It’s about 200 lines of code right now. I figure that once I’ve migrated more of the legacy apps – and also refactored some of the earlier “verbatim” migrated code to use crud-form – it might be in a state worth releasing as a library, in case it helps other people.

3 Likes

This used to stress me a bit. In my case everything about Clojure was completely new when I started to play with it. It was very hard to sort and sieve the information I gathered. And it often felt like all of it was equally important. It wasn’t, of course. I’ve since found that I handle things pretty well with the small subset I’m comfortable with. And from there I push out of my comfort zone on small journeys when I have the time and energy. That zone then grows. Baby step, by baby step, more of the Clojure toolbox gets within my reach.

On the actual question: No, Clojure is not overkill for small web apps. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hei man, I browsed around the doc website. One thing I looked for is an introduction video. Something like a Setup Project + Todo app in Biff. That would be awesome to see to familiarize with it faster. Thx!

It is a good idea. I’ll get around to it at some point ;). I used to have a video up there, but it became out of date after a large batch of updates I did several months ago. I don’t anticipate any more big changes any time soon though at least.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.