Problem installing Clojure 1.11.0 on new Ubuntu machine due to curl snap

New Ubuntu machine with no curl which is a prerequisite of the standard Linux install.
The Ubuntu recommendation was to install a curl Snap package.
FYI This snap causes the Linux Clojure install script to fail because it can’t write a file. This is not due to the Clojure install script.
Fix: Remove the snap and install the earlier versioned apt package:
$ sudo apt install curl

As an alternative, you should be able to allow the snap to write files.

According to the linked article, it works on most directories but failed on “.” (hidden) directories. I don’t want to worry about where I’m writing. That’s a strong #fail in my opinion. I’ll use the version that works as I expect. Snaps feel like another Unity - Canonical are going their own way, away from the Linux community.

I’ve been bitten by that one as well. But snaps definitely have their use and that decision about hidden directories does have justification. In any case, glad you have it working. :slight_smile:

I’m confused about the “1.11.0” in the title of this. afaik, this doesn’t have anything to do with Clojure 1.11.0 (language version) but to the Clojure CLI, butt that doesn’t have a 1.11.0 version yet.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.