Reagent Beginner Questions

Hi,

I’m a beginning ClojureScript developer looking to use Reagent to build Rect webapps. I’ve got some React experience, but was curious about how much a ClojureScript/Reagent developer needs to “keep up” with the ever evolving React API? Or is that the benefit of using Reagent and no matter what changes or methodologies React adopts, all of that is abstracted away by Reagent?

Also, I was curious if it was possible to build server-side rendered Reagent apps (similar to Next.Js) so that components can be served rather than loaded in the DOM all at once. Is this possible with Reagent or is there another library for this?

Thanks!

how much a ClojureScript/Reagent developer needs to “keep up” with the ever evolving React API?

It might depend on a project, but I haven’t had to keep up for years now. If I read about something new, it’s not because I have to but rather because I’m curious.

Some changes in React can be beneficial even when you use Reagent. But it doesn’t mean that you have to know about those things - it might very well be that your current knowledge will be just enough for years.

Regarding SSR in Reagent - it’s possible and some things are documented. There’s been a lot of discussions on Slack though. If you’re there, you can try searching the #reagent channel.

Thanks for the tip. I’m a newbie and didn’t know about the Slack channel. After poking around there a bit, it seems like the same thing could be accomplished using htmx on the client and hiccup on the server to render html. Makes one completely reconsider the necessity of something like React…

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.