Full Stack Web Developer
We translate data into knowledge for making smart land use and policy decisions.
Spatial Informatics Group, LLC (SIG), is an environmental think tank focused on solving complex environmental problems and taking unique solutions to market. Founded in 1998 by four PhD candidates, our group combines spatial analytics with ecological, social and economic sciences to understand and quantify the impacts of management and policy choices on the short and long-term stability of ecosystems.
We specialize in capturing geospatial data using remote sensing technology, and offer services in environmental mapping, ecosystem quantification, forest management, forest carbon offsets, and fire risk management.
We’re a tight knit, mission-driven team, distributed across the globe, and positioned for rapid growth. Come join our team of applied thinkers, scientists, technologists, and business professionals.
Job Description: SIG is searching for a Full Stack Web Developer for a variety of programs relating to our Natural Hazards, Environmental Mapping and Forest Carbon domains.
The successful candidate will have the expertise and experience to build decision support tools for our clients across the Americas, Africa, and Southeast Asia. SIG is a digitally native organization with personnel distributed across three continents. Therefore, the position is for remote work only, preferably based in US compatible timezones.
Application Deadline: Interviews will be on a rolling basis. Applications will be continuously reviewed until suitable candidates are identified.
Responsibilities: The following list provides a description of this position’s responsibilities:
- Work closely with a small team of 7 developers to create, deploy, and maintain high-impact science-sharing web applications, such as https://pyregence.org and https://collect.earth, environmental simulation models, spatial data distribution platforms, or offline UIs for scientific analyses.
- Work closely with product/project managers to deliver products on time, on budget, and within scope.
- Write and submit code through Git PRs, review other developer’s code, perform unit and functional tests, and deploy applications to both public and private cloud targets.
- Document all out-of-band information related to project dev-ops for reference by other team members.
- Participate in team and project-specific meetings, especially on technical development.
- Potentially interact with client groups around the world through virtual meeting platforms.
Job Specification: The following list provides a summary of the position’s requirements:
- Minimum three (3) years experience developing web applications
- Experience with web mapping using OpenLayers or Mapbox
- Familiar with functional reactive UI development using ReactJS and/or Reagent
- Familiar with functional programming techniques (e.g., pure functions, immutable data, closures, laziness, function composition, memoization)
- Experience with SQL DB programming in Postgresql (bonus points for PostGIS experience)
- Good at working in a distributed team environment with frequent text, voice, and video communications with other developers
- Fluent in version control procedures with Git and Github/Gitlab, including creating/closing issues, creating/reviewing/merging pull requests, and good branch management
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment from the command line and administering remote servers over SSH
Additional preference will be given to candidates with:
- Experience with geospatial processing using PostGIS, GeoTools, and/or GDAL/OGR
Terms of employment: The position is recruited on a full time employment basis. In addition, part-time consultancy work may also be considered depending on the experience and availability of the candidate.
SIG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity which includes the recognition that our success is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of women and men of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, or other status protected by law.
Apply through LinkedIn at: Spatial Informatics Group, LLC hiring Full Stack Web Developer in United States | LinkedIn