Week 46: What are you working on this week?

Hi everyone! Let’s have this thread weekly. There’s already “What did you learn this week?” thread, but this one is different IMO. It seems like a good place to share and find open source projects to contribute to, or maybe to discuss interesting ideas that you are working on and inspire others with your achievements.

So what are you working on this week? Maybe you are hacking on something for open source or doing an exciting feature at work? Share! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @roman01la for starting this thread! I’m planning to make the “what did you learn” thread automatically appear every Friday, I could do the same for “What are you working on?”

I’m not sure what people think about such automated postings, maybe we can discuss that more in #community-center:clojureverse-meta. Personally I think such “writing prompts” can be super valuable now that we’re still booting up to give people some inspiration.

For me, I’ll be doing some thinking about my long term strategy with Lambda Island, because it feels like I’ve been “climbing a tree to seek fish”.

I’ll also continue to help a local company with their transition from boot to leiningen+tools.deps.

1 Like

I’m working on my banjo skills…my clawhammer strum is pretty good but i can’t switch chords fast enough and i’m so slow it sounds like funeral music. As far as computer things i’ll work on Lightmod! There are bugs to fix and none of them are as interesting as my banjo…

@plexus why is the company moving away from boot? Just curious.

2 Likes

@plexus I think automatic posting would be fine. Everyone will have a chance to say something on weekly basis.

Back to the topic. We’ve just released a product with over 10k LOC front-end written in ClojureScript, that’s our 6th app I believe. Still many things to be improved, but it feels good to finally ship somethings :slight_smile:

Major improvement in our front-end architecture would be to compile all apps together and leverage ClojureScript’s code-splitting. There are some blockers for us, but I’ll get there eventually.

3 Likes

I’m working in a tool for data structures visualization with quil (a wrapper of processing, where creative code happens) together with emacs.

Actually it shows the output for a step in a pipeline (using thread macros) in a quil view and the diff in a emacs buffer.

I wanna try to represent the “movements” between steps in data pipelines in a more intuitive and easy-to-see way… but it’s in progress as shown at https://vimeo.com/240254456

2 Likes

Have you given any thought to expanding the tutorials to egghead.io ?
In terms of exposure it’s really awesome. Clojurescript is kinda missing there unfortunately seems like a good opportunity.

1 Like

what framework did you use ? Personally I’ve used Om and Hoplon by now, looking forward to learn Reagent/ReFrame.
LE: and also @claudiu’s proposed fulcro although not a standalone (stacked on top of OmNext) sounds like a good way to build a future proj.

2 Likes

I’ve attempted to record a course for them last year, but didn’t really had time to do it, until recently when I started doing my own courses I think now I’m capable of doing this as well :slight_smile:

@plexus How about collaboration? I’d love to discuss this.

1 Like

We are using Rum with in-house state management similar to Citrus library, but more simpler.

1 Like

@claudiu I don’t think egghead is a suitable platform for me. They do “fire and forget” style screencasts, which are quick to produce but not very polished. I’m at the other end of the spectrum, I probably spend an order of magnitude more time on a minute of screencast than the average egghead author. Whether this is the best trade-off is debatable, but it’s part of my brand, it’s how I like it. It’s dollar-store vs luxury products. In a small market like Clojure you’re better off being a luxury product (and pricing accordingly).

@roman01la always happy to talk! just send me a message :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is interesting and I tend to agree with you. Nevertheless egghead looks like a good source of new people for the ecosystem. Anyway, it’s definitely a good thing to post something about Clojure there :slight_smile:

1 Like

@roman01la Yep, think it’s kinda the go-to place if you’re interested in front-end.
The have a lot of courses on react, so slim chance that there many reactjs devs that don’t know about egghead. I got a bit into rxjs just because it was there and caught my eye.

In the languages section there ELM & Purescript are there.

Seems like the perfect match given how clojurescript shines when combined with react and it has it’s own really cool react-based ecosystem.

@plexus Makes sense, don’t know exactly how much impact it would have for Lambda Island. Was just thinking about that since you have a few episodes that people getting started could find interesting after a egghead language basics course (luminus, re-frame, reagent). If I like a course I usually try to find more from the same author there or on other websites.

2 Likes

I’m writing C++ code :tired_face: for the Tensorflow library so Bill Piel’s Clojure library for Tensorflow, Guildsman, can have access to more gradients.

Working on this project has really made me appreciate Clojure’s development experience. :green_heart: :clojure: :blue_heart:

I’m also going to be working on the last 2 Marginalia issues for the 9.2 release :construction_worker_man:t3:

And even though this isn’t work, I’m trying to finish reading “How Not to Be Wrong, The Power of Mathematical Thinking” by Jordan Ellenberg. :open_book:

And as always I’ll be catching up on the Lambda Island videos I still haven’t watched. :grin:

4 Likes

Mostly still going through Living Clojure and trying to get a firmer grasp on Boot, Macchiato, and Rum. Thought Rum + Macchiato would be fun to build my own site, plus I’m in a “advanced” web programming class where we are going to build our own sites (I’m not going to try and intregrate Macchiato with that though).

I’m also kind of interested in seeing if I could figure out how to create a live in-browser playground for Closh using some ClojureScript framework. Have barely a clue how I’d start that, but hell might as well try to figure it out and learn.

1 Like

I’m still ironing out the kinks and writing docs for my full stack web framework. It should be ready really soon though. Probably next week!

Really? That’s an interesting decision. Having migrated from Leiningen to Boot a couple of years back, I can’t imagine wanting to go back to Leiningen, even if you want deps.edn and tools.deps (since there’s a Boot task for that now!).

Can you share anything about why they are doing this? (probably should be another thread elsewhere?)

We broke ground on a new project last week to replace some legacy functionality in our old “monolithic web app” (MWA, non-Clojure) with a standalone all-Clojure web app. This week I’ve been getting that up and running on our QA server and integrating it with our web infrastructure. Since some of the core functionality was already in a Clojure library that our MWA used, it’s been possible to make really good progress!

We’re also getting ready to roll three more of our 100+ web sites over from MWA to our recently launched React.js app with its all-Clojure backend which I’m excited about (and I used a REPL on production today to make some of the configuration changes needed in the database for that transition!).

OSS-wise, I continue to tweak boot-tools-deps, and I’m still thinking about improving clojure.test-compatibility in Expectations (so test failure diff display will work in Cursive). I’m hoping to make more progress on an all-new documentation site for Expectations (but I suck at writing!).

2 Likes

Since I’m using bulma for the css, which is without any javascript I will be creating something like https://github.com/dominicrico/bulmajs but for clojurescript.

Leading up to a final Clojure 1.9 release, I’ve been working on getting the API doc building for Clojure and Clojure contrib projects again. This stuff was created by and has been maintained by Tom Faulhaber for many many years to which we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude. These days he’s busy with lots of other things and the process has been broken (due to drift in spec) for about a year.

I fixed those problems and a lot of other minor things - new releases of autodoc-collect and autodoc are out this week. I’ve been re-working the process so we can host it in a better way on the clojure build box rather than in a machine in Tom’s closet. Still working out all the fun automation aspects.

6 Likes

Development
New features as well as some architectural changes for a Cycle.js application that I maintain.
Some work for a library for manipulating units of measurement (construction, conversion etc) in Clojure.

Reading
Clojure Applied by Ben Vandgrift and @alexmiller. Highly recommended book!