What shadow-cljs is and isn't

Finally wrote the Blog Post I’ve been meaning to write for a while. Hopefully it clears some of the confusion about what shadow-cljs actually is for those familiar with the ecosystem.

https://code.thheller.com/blog/shadow-cljs/2019/03/01/what-shadow-cljs-is-and-isnt.html

13 Likes

Awesome stuff! I tried out shadow-cljs a couple of weeks back, and I loved the experience. Some things felt like works in progress, but that didn‘t hurt productivity.

You closed with the hope of inspiring „posterior art“, and I really think it will! I hope you can find the time and give it some more love and polish (hopefully speaking constructively, the built in dashboard could use a little UX and clarity I feel).

I also tried out the whole fulcro/pathom stack a while back, and I was really impressed by Nubank‘s developer tools. The database and client inspectors as well as its sort of take on devcards show amazing potential in my opinion. I mention this because the recent addition of datafy/nav, REBL, together with the work on figwheel.main, shadow-cljs and OSS funding going on, it all practically screams for a renewed look at what we can do for developer UX.

Stuff that’s only now breaching the larger JS world has been available in CLJS basically from day one, yet our build tools, bottom line, are not much better than the complexities of other ecosystems - plus the fact that we have to interface there anyway! I think with the tools available now we could be truly ahead of the curve again (without making tooling a rocket science for developers, hopefully). Thank you for your work!

3 Likes

Oh absolutely. Unfortunately I’m not a great UI/UX designer and struggle building even basic UIs. I can do the tech without issues, it just never looks right. It also takes much longer since I end up pushing pixels for hours without actually adding new functionality.

If anyone is interested in helping out in the UI/UX department please reach out. I’m totally used to working with images/sketches and implementing the code side of things. Just need something visual as a starting point. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shadow has a dashboard? How do you get to it? Shadow’s the only thing I got working with Emacs on Windows so it’s the tool I’m sticking with for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

It defaults to http://localhost:9630, should that port the taken it increments by one until it finds a free one. It is printed on startup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.