Where are the Junior Clojure jobs?

I’m asking for a friend: Where are the Junior Clojure jobs?

3 Likes

At Pilloxa we hire fairly junior developers to work on our Clojure + ClojureScript stack. If people are junior it’s very hard to do remote though so then they’ll have to be on site here in Stockholm, Sweden.

3 Likes

Very relatable, I’ve been wondering this for quite awhile. I chose Clojure as pretty much my first language because I felt it included the best features of all of them that I tried. I don’t think I need to stress this point to find agreement here. But as a career move, I am starting to highly question my decision because it has been 3-4 years and I am still very much struggling. I know that it takes a lot of time and effort to get into a new field and it would be foolish to expect immediate results, but I can’t help but wonder if I would still be unemployed if I had picked say Ruby or Python or JavaScript.

Some of my favorite Clojure talks are the ones presented by beginners who have said very encouraging things about the value of hiring a team made up of people from a diversity of experience levels, such as this one. I would expect the Clojure community to especially recognize this. But it turns out that Clojure is actually so easy to learn that companies are having an easier time hiring non-Clojure devs and teaching it to them!

2 Likes

If you learned Javascript (and one or two front-end toolsets), you would have countless jobs to choose from.

You could start learning Javascript now, get a job doing Javascript, and then try to sneak Clojurescript in :).

1 Like

I’m trying to move into a Clojure role in Bristol UK, it’s not been easy so far, our local meetup appears to have decreased in size here

I know it’s not a competition, but it feels like Elixir is capturing an increasing number of developers who are trying to make their first jump from imperative to functional. And I think the two reasons, in order of significance, are Phoenix (very Rails like, and quite nice to use; I built a production app with it), and the special back-end features that BEAM VM provides.

In other words, there are a few common cases that Elixir has complete, current, and well-defined answers for. Clojure, it seems to me, doesn’t have one or two big answers that would draw people in. (You can do anything with Clojure and JVM libraries of course, but it’s much more up to you to find the proper assortment of current pieces + fit them together yourself.)

It’s a shame. I find Clojure the language to be so low friction to use, and I find Elixir very powerful but very cluttered with non-alphanumeric characters and having so much syntactic sugar that there’s a lot to learn/remember in the early days of learning.

I guess what I’m saying is that I honestly don’t expect to see Clojure use grow as much as I think or wish it should :).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.