A data science course for Clojurians -- are you interested?

Edit, 2022-14-07: here is the emerging course plan, following your feedback at public and private comments, here and on Reddit.

These days at the Scicloj organizing team we are rethinking some of the current ongoing groups and meetings.
One idea we are considering is having regular meetings for teaching data science to Clojurians.

:question: Do you find that potentially useful?
:question: Do you think you could commit to monthly meetings and to studying in between?
:writing_hand: Please write to me – as a public or private comment – about your background and interests.

The goal would be to:

• provide Clojurians with basic theory, practices, libraries, and tools needed for common data science tasks;
  • as a byproduct, create learning resources (video, notes);
  • and thus prepare ourselves to also teach people who are new to Clojure;
  • and also, help Clojurians to become active contributors to the emerging stack.

Tentative format:

• relatively structured & didactic
  • monthly regular classes
  • possible practice meetings in between
  • studying through individual / small-group projects
20 Likes

This is a cool idea! Seems like a great way to merge the data science people who are new to Clojure with the Clojure developers who are new to data science.

7 Likes

I’d like that. Been wanting to become more proficient with data science.

3 Likes

I am new to both Clojure and Data Science, however if these lesson were combined with homework/challenges (with possible solutions) between monthly mtgs, that would be beneficial

3 Likes

Sound like a really cool idea. I have previously done some lightweight data science with Clojure and would really love to hone my skills in this field.

3 Likes

I think this is a great initiative. I always wanted to get into data science. I recently started to work with Clojure as my primary language, so this would be very cool.

1 Like

Thanks for all these responses in public and private messages.

For reference, I’m linking here to the Reddit discussion too:

Im very interesting in that. I started to do the same in Spanish but maybe will be better join efforts in English and later translate it to another languages

1 Like

@maxxcan sounds wonderful.
Or maybe we could do both in parallel?
Let us chat about it if you wish.

1 Like

An excellent idea. I’ve been trying to get into data science stuff for a long time but never managed to do it.
In my current job, this is becoming increasingly important and would be very interesting for me to be able to compare Clojure-based data science tools to more traditional Python stuff, etc.

1 Like

im interesting

1 Like

hi daniel!
i would like this very much!
i’ve already been using your and generateme’s work tablecloth for several things and was heading towards datascience eventually, so the timing is perfect!

I would love to join such a course.

I think a course where people can understand math for Data Science from its basic concepts, then implementing it in code, seeing it working on data in action will be a powerful curriculum.

Then people can be thought how to harness the power of GPU’s etc as a add-on.

May be advanced version of a DS course could teach about using Cloure with Spark, Kafka etc where students will get the idea / potential to solve problems involving TB’s of Data.

1 Like

I’m most definitely interested in learning!
I started a data science course a while back with Python but found it a bit of a struggle at the time as it mostly required using Linux which I wasn’t familiar with at the time.
Now I’ve been using Clojure with WSL for Linux on Windows so would be ready to have another go at it; this time in my preferred language :smiley:

1 Like

OK when and where do we talk?

1 Like

That would be great! I would love to learn data science and teach others data science and Clojure.

1 Like

Thanks, everybody, for the kind responses.

@maxxcan @kiramclean @mindaslab and anybody who wished to be involved:
We will organize a meeting to brainstorm the course plan, probably on the weekend of July 22-24.
If you have any preferred times, please write to me.

1 Like

@maxxcan @mindaslab and anybody,
would you like to meet on
Sunday, July 24th, 16:00 UTC
to brainstorm the course plan?

2 Likes

yes, interested.

1 Like

Sure. Let’s meet.

1 Like