tldr; Which editor-connected REPL setups only require the Clojure CLI tool?
I’m working on putting together something for Clojure(Script) beginners with the help of @eric-normand. I’m not sure what it will end up being exactly – it may take a few forms (blog, GitHub project, video tutorials).
I’m stuck on finding a quick, easy, and widely appealing editor-connected REPL setup .
I’m looking for something that only requires the user to have the Clojure CLI tool i.e. no leiningen or boot.
Main problems I’ve run into so far:
- Atom integrations, namely proto-repl, require lein or boot to run and connect to a REPL.
- VSCode has no editor connected REPL integration.
- IntelliJ is ~500mb download (Atom is ~100) and Cursive may require leiningen (not sure)
- Text editors like Emacs and Spacemacs have great integrations but prevent devs not accustomed to them from feeling productive quickly
- Command-line interfaces like rebel-readline are great but don’t provide paren management or the same experience as evaluating code under your cursor in a file.
- I’ve no experience writing plugins and little spare time. Most of us are up to our neck in projects. So I’m trying to rely on existing solutions that may not be perfect but are still really good.
Full disclosure: I use Cursive and IntelliJ with vim mode and Parinfer.