Introduce yourself!

Hello, I am Olivier. I am a software engineer living in Versailles (France), currently working on an in-memory aggregation engine completely written in Java.
I am using Clojure for small projects, for fun and learning. My next target for Clojure is a toy language simulating a “computer” made of small processors, inspired from the game TIS-100.
I mostly drink hot chocolate and fruit juices, with the rare occasional beers and more at parties :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Greetings Clojureverse!

I’m Anson, from Toronto Canada. A few good friends and former colleagues highly recommended Clojure over the last several years, and I’m finally in a position where I can dig in more than syntax-deep.

I have been programming Python and JavaScript professionally and leading software teams for the last 10+ years, with a brief but unfortunate foray into Perl.

I’m working on a new startup in the legal technology space, and Clojure + ClojureScript seem like a promising foundation to build on. Hopefully I don’t come to regret this decision!

Also, coffee. I am obsessive about my espresso.
I do love tea tooo!

5 Likes

Hi eveybody! I’m Jochen and I’m writing you from Germany. Usually I’m mostly working in Python at SUSE where I’m working in the SUSE Manager team where everything is about datacenter management. Please check out the Uyuni Project if you want to know more about that. Although everything there is written in Python or Java, it looks like there might be a chance to add a little bit of Clojure to my every day work and I’m looking forward to that.
I’ve also created MyClojureStatus on Twitter, which is a bot that retweets all tweets with #myclojurestatus and since there is not so much happening there, I’m also retweeting some interesting things from time to time.

6 Likes

Howdy all

My name is Mícheál and I’m quite new to Clojure and Clojurescript. Love the feel of the language, having been in the imperative universe always without even knowing it!! Enthusiast moreso than anything, most interested in creative coding for audiovisual installations to complement my music practice (michealocathain.com). Have done a loop of p5.js, processing, openframeworks and very excited about where Quil may take. Hope to make installations running on RPis…

Love all sorts of tea … green, camomile (to wind down)
Equally love my morning coffee ritual with a porlex hand grinder and aeropress…

Seems like an AMAZING community from all the online resources, looking forward to chatting with you and hope to contribute eventually too!!

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Diego and I’m trying to learn Clojure. My main language at the moment is Go and I love it but I’m looking for something that allows me to be more productive and be more suitable for web development (:wave: clojurescript).

:crossed_fingers: and wish me luck :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Agoston. I’m currently studying in Germany :de: originally from Hungary :hungary: . I started getting into GNU/Linux and Emacs about a year ago, then after around half a year my original interest of learning natural languages (from which I speak 4 :hungary: :de: :uk: :cn: ) somehow shifted to teaching myself programming languages. After “trying out” a few, I like Clojure the most. It might sound controversial, but for me the parentheses just make sense.
Obviously I’m not an expert (yet), but I’m really excited about Clojure. I’ve already finished Clojure for the Brave and True, currently learning Web Development with Clojure.
In the past I didn’t use to join online communities but THIS one is so nice that I decided to break my old habit. Also I’ve seen many of you guys on Github as contributors or authors of various libraries that are used for web dev with Clojure. For me this all makes the whole community seem more personal and approachable. Looking forward for interesting interactions!

7 Likes

It’s not controversial to Lisp users, only to the normies.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
My name is Giuseppe, from Italy. I’m mainly a Java developer with 7 years of professional experience.
I’m pretty new to the Clojure world. I started using it for different personal projects 1 year ago.
I simply felt in love with the language and the community. Looking forward to helping the community!
Coffee obsessed (espresso, of course) and gin lover. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Hello there! I’m Kira. I’ve been writing Clojure for a couple of years now with a lovely team based in Manchester, UK (I work from Montreal, Canada, though). Mostly web apps but also some RDF library type code.

Clojure has made me a better programmer in many ways, not only because of the patterns the language itself demands but also just the culture in general, which is no doubt strongly influenced by Rich Hickey. I absolutely love the way he approaches software, starting with fundamental problems (like complexity) and working backwards all the way down to actual implementation.

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with the broader community here! Thanks for having me.

8 Likes

Hi Kira, welcome to ClojureVerse. Do you know about Clojurians Slack? There is an #RDF channel there with about a hundred people subscribed.

I have recently started working with RDF too, so I’ve been trying to compile existing resources here. If you know of any missing ones, you’re welcome to contribute.

Hi Simon, thank you!

And nice list! Just realized I didn’t actually name the company I work with… it’s Swirrl, looks like most of our open source libraries are already on the list :slight_smile: I was new to RDF/linked data when I started out with them, but it’s interesting stuff for sure! Not sure if you actively use graph databases/triplestores much, but if so you might be interested in this talk coming up Thursday!

Hello everyone, My name is Eric. I live on the East coast of the United States. I’ve been a software developer since the late 1990s. My only exposure to Lisp was using Scheme and Common Lisp at university long ago. I’ve dabbled with Clojure in the past, but never used it for any projects at work.

Last year I decided to step away from working a full-time job with thoughts of launching my own startup if I could find an idea for a compelling product or service to develop. Instead I ended up working on remodeling projects around my house, traveling around the country (before the pandemic), getting into 3D printing, reading books, and watching more YouTube videos than I care to admit. With the pandemic raging on and my investments doing well, I decided to “retire” at age 49.

With all this extra time on my hands I have been taking a more active role in managing my investments, and have become interested in markets and trading. I would like to write some software for myself to help me manage my trading activities better. I thought I might try using Clojure for that, so right now I’m setting up my development environment and learning the language.

I don’t like coffee or tea, but soda is my guilty pleasure. I limit myself to a few per week because it’s terrible for you!

Anyway, I’m glad to be here!

6 Likes

reading that, a few sayings come to mind:

Squadra che vince non si cambia

if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

i could go on, but i feel like i have made my point. :wink:

aaaanyway, sounds to me like you know pretty well what you are doing there; still, allow me to offer to you the following quote, since i believe it to be terrific advice for everyone:

Investing should be (more) like watching paint dry or watching grass grow.
Paul Samuelson

okay, having said that,… WELCOME! :smiley:

also,… best of luck to you,… and have tons of fun with clj!

Hello!

My name name is Leif. I’ve been working in software development since 2007, when I joined the games industry as a QA tester for a proprietary MMO client-server game engine and rendering engine. Since then, I have worked as a programmer, technical project manager, business developer and data scientist. I’m currently the data science lead at the largest electronics retailer in the Nordics.

In 2012, I read The Pragmatic Programmer by Dave Thomas and Andy Hunt. It inspired me to learn a new programming language each year, and I’ve kept at it since then except for a few years when there were too many other things occupying my mind.

My chosen language for 2021 is Clojure :smile: I also want to engage with the community, make some new acquaintances and friends along the way. See you around!

6 Likes

Good choice! If you get stuck, I recommend the #beginners channel on Clojurians Slack.

1 Like

awesome!

i always felt like tackling a new language each year sounds like a marvelous resolution ( in theory ), except for that fact that ( in practice ) it is just WAAAY too time consuming / fatiguing. :sweat_smile:

anyway, when you say that you managed to pull if off more often than not over the past 8 years, i am thinking KUDOS! ( …just out of curiosity, may i ask what languages you picked? )

in any case, i am positive you are not gonna regret checking out clj this year!

welcome!

1 Like

It really is good advice and I definitely keep it in mind as a goal. In reality, I’ve managed about one language every couple of years, and it has been fascinating to learn Go, Elm, Rust, Kotlin while I’ve been doing Clojure professionally (along with a bit of Frege, which represents my lifelong attempt to really, finally, properly learn Haskell!).

3 Likes

Why not Eta? :slight_smile:

Frege came first and whilst Eta seemed to burn bright, its maintainers were pretty condescending about Frege, and now it looks like Eta is abandoned – and yet Frege continued to get updates.

I created a Frege plugin for Leiningen: Frege/frege-lein-plugin: Support Frege compiler via leiningen (github.com) (and it still works – I just tested it!)

Yeah, I remember seeing Frege years ago. IIRC, the advantage of Eta was that it was closer to actual Haskell (as in, Haskell libraries would compile in Eta). Pity the devs dropped the ball. I had had a look when it came out, and I remember submitting a fix to their tutorial docs (which were really nice), but tbh, after picking up Clojure, I haven’t really done anything Haskell-related…