Introduce yourself!

Hello, I’m jaeyeon from South Korea,

I’m back-end developer. I started studying and applying Clojure to IoT Server in commercial project from Jan 2020. Before using Clojure, I used C, C#, C++ in 7+ years with not-qualified programs. My colleague also satisfied using Clojure because it is easy to modifible and maintainable.

I hope that a lot of companies used Clojure in Korea.

7 Likes

Hi!

I’m Remy, a French-Bolivian expat living in the Czech Republic.

I first heard of Clojure a year ago or so and recently introduced it at my workplace for a new project (so yay, small win for the language). Other than that I am still learning it in my free time in hopes to soon start contributing to some open source libraries, and in general just enjoying watching past conferences.

The language shares ideals with my former research field: linked data / semantic web, and every other day I discover some new crazy thing being done with it which keeps me motivated and curious.

And finally: I’m teaching myself how to brew espresso. Luckily Prague has a huge specialty coffee community, so I won’t run short on fuel no matter how many shots i screw up.

7 Likes

Hi, my name is Norman, I’m living in South Germany.

I’ve fallen in deep love with Clojure 2 years ago, but still have a lot to learn though, my sparetime to learn is very limited.
Stumbled across Clojure around 4 years ago but had a break learning F# in the meanwile.

Started hobby-programming in mid 90’s enjoyed IRC in its best times
… make a living with programming since around ~17 years in several programming languages.
Strong OOP background but now I’m completely owned by FP.

I must admit that I regret that I didn’t stumble across Common Lisp in the 90s, it could have probably changed my live as developer, to a better, much earlier.
Currently I’m in the unlucky situation that I’m forced to do C# as employee and every minute touching C# feels like completely wasted precious time.

Also running a freelance business in addition to my job as employee since 2009.
Clojure is the best programming language I’ve ever came across.

I’m following your discussions in this forum for a while, but normally I’m not the guy who’s talking that much, rather busy reading, learning, trying to make progress.
I think I already purchased almost every book about Clojure, but not finished reading all of them for sure.

I’m looking forward having a really good time with you all in this forum, so many nice and smart people here!

10 Likes

Have you tried pu erh tea?
rare to find out of China until recently (they keep the best for selves… :wink:

Hi everyone,

yet another voice from Germany here (Cologne).

I’d like to call myself a philosopher turned programmer for reasons of sanity: After defending my PhD thesis about a year ago I was pretty worn out and felt like trying something new and different… or maybe not even all that different:

I had dabbled in programming before; tried my hand at Perl and Python but the only language that I’d always come back to turned out to be Emacs Lisp (which I learned via Conrad Barski’s fine book and used whenever some domestic job needed a programming solution). Somehow the Lisp way sat much better with me than the OOP stuff, in part because academically I had a background in formal Logic, including Lambda calculus.

But it was only after listening to talks like Are We There Yet?, where Rich Hickey references A.N.Whitehead, that I was totally hooked. Seeing some of the abstract concepts I was familiar with as an academic philosopher applied to real world problems in such a hands-on way was fascinating (one of my early professors was really big on Whitehead). Also, my main philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte constantly stresses the primacy of processes over things… so the centrality of functions resonated with me on many levels.

With my acadamic life taking a break I threw myself into learning Clojure with the immediate goal of doing some small time web development to keep my boat afloat… it has been a struggle, mostly because the underlying technology (HTTP, the DOM,…) is usually taught to newcomers using other languages than Clojure. So, of course, I got some basic JavaScript and some (very basic!) Java under my belt in order to at least know what I would be interopping with.

As of now I’d say 75% of my Code is Clojurescript (I use Macchiato for the backend), 20% is Clojure and 5% other stuff. Professionally it’s all freelance work, but more and more I would like to find actual colleagues I can share some experiences with. For the time being I’m really looking forward to doing this very thing right here! Of course I’ll chime in when I feel I have something to contribute, but most of all I’m eager to read more from the much more experienced and wiser folks around here!

Cheers!

(I am actually a green coffee guy, eating it raw and washing it down with water.)

10 Likes

sounds awesome! great having you!

1 Like

nice one :slight_smile:
welcome!

2 Likes

Cheers from another guy from Czechia. Mind me asking what do you do with Clojure these days.

2 Likes

Nazdar! I’m mainly rewriting/refactoring/rethinking an old toy project of mine into Clojure… doing so is taking me through a bunch of interesting stuff, mainly cljfx and Datomic. I’ve also been looking at mulog and aws-api as they’re close to the subjects I would use or deal with at work. How about you?

By the way, glad to hear from someone in CZ, hope there’s more of us!

1 Like

Hi there!
AFAIK for some reason there is plenty of people who studied humanities and turned to clojure. I am also one of them! I envy you being native German speaker and being able to read original Nietzsche and Heidegger :sunglasses: Esp. Heidegger is hard to translate and with Nietzsche you definitely loose some of his poetics. Just out of curiosity any link to PhD thesis?

Cheers
Miro

3 Likes

Nazdárek! I am sure there is! :beers:

1 Like

You’re the first I know… good I’m not alone! What is (or used to be) your specialty?

I’ve known some foreign scholars who could hardly utter a single sentence in German, but were experts on Heideggerian speak. Being German when reading Heidegger actually has its caveats. Approaching his terminology with the native speaker’s intuitions can seriously trip you up… kind of like Clojure’s contains?, the semantics of which are systematically sound but still confusing when approached from the naive standpoint of English lexicology.

My thesis was on said Johann Gottlieb Fichte and his take on transcendental skepticism. As I’m still looking into publishing the text, for now, I wouldn’t want it all over the Internet. I have PM’d you the link to the TOC and the introduction if that’s ok with you.

Cheers!

3 Likes

definitely!

2 Likes

Hello folks,

I am Ravi Hasija. I am brand spanking new to Clojure, primarily a backend JVM developer. I love tea (Indian), coffee, west coast swing dance, coding in general. I am originally from India, living in Portland, OR for last 4 years. I am looking forward to be a grasshopper on this forum and learning from each and everyone of you rockstars!

5 Likes

Hello,
My name is Arek, I’m 23 yo and I live in Krakow in Poland. I started programming when I was 13 after friend taught me polish open-source browser game engine Vallheru. I’m professional full-stack developer for 3 years now and I work as JS/TS team lead.
I’ve once read that you should learn a new programming language every year and after hearing a lot of good things about Lisp I started the year with Common Lisp. I really liked that but it felt a little bit outdated so after couple of months I moved over to Clojure and just felt in love with it. Mostly because of its simplicity, great design and flexibility. I use Clojure for hobby project which maybe someday will become start-up.
It’s my first IT community I decided to join and I hope I’ll stay here for longer :slight_smile:
My English may be poor sometimes but I’m working on it. I used to learn German in primary school and in high school everyone was far beyond me with English so I’m mostly self-taught.
Tea for alone coding sessions,
Coffee, Vodka and Beer for meetings with friends,
Wine for evenings with girlfriend

9 Likes

I like that. Maybe I should take a page out of your book and drink more tea when coding. I drink too much coffee. Welcome! :grinning:

2 Likes

WOW!!! already team lead at age 23! how in the world did that happen?! :smile:

anyway, i think it is really really cool to see young people taking an interest in lisp! ( if you have not done so already, why not give emacs a try as well? :smile: )

anyway… two more comments… if i may :smile:

first: i think your english is pretty good! also i feel like a lot of people in the clj community are either native german speakers or know some german regardless… so maybe what you think of as a liability now, could, some day, turn out to be an asset! :wink:

second: i realize that you probably tend to enjoy your booze in a very tongue in cheek kinda way, still, because of seniority i do feel obliged, to point out to you the obvious, namely, that drinking ( hard liquor ) is no laughing matter!

aaaanyway :smile: welcome… and cheers :smile: :beers:

1 Like

I’ve had it several times in Yunnan. I must say that its smoky, earthy flavour isn’t exactly my favourite spin on tea. :smile:

I already gave Emacs a try. Vim is my main editor (I don’t know if it’s save to say it here :smiley: ) but I use Emacs for any Lisp related programming :slight_smile:
Actually I don’t drink alcohol as often as one could conclude from my post :stuck_out_tongue: but thanks for your thought. I realize even “one beer after work” if is drinking too often can tend to problems and I think it’s important to say it loud so I appreciate your advice :slight_smile:
cheers :beers: :smile:

1 Like

Hi! My name is Andrey Bogoyavlensky. I’m a software engineer with a Python background. But now I’ve been using Clojure for about a year daily and pretty happy with it. During that time I’ve made a couple of patches to projects as clj-kondo and clojureVSCode. Also, I have a small personal blog written in Clojure like custom-made-static-site-generator :slight_smile: https://bogoyavlensky.com. So I hope you will enjoy the content on those pages.

4 Likes