Introduce yourself!

I am Fengtao Hu,
Come from beijing,china.
I use clojure on my work for nearly 5 years, I love Clojure.
I hope to learn more clojure technology from this site and make friends with clojurers.

7 Likes

Hello everyone!

Iā€™m David Bruce and I have only recently picked up Clojure a few weeks ago. After toying with the idea of learning a lisp for years I finally decided to take the plunge. I have a lot of experience with the JVM so Clojure was a natural choice. I look forward to chatting with everyone. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello,
I never added to this thread when I first joined Clojureverse, but I keep seeing it appear so Iā€™m reminded that I should participate.

Iā€™m Paula, an Australian living in Virginia in the USA. Iā€™ve been writing software professionally for 28 years. I started learning FP (via SICP) in 2004, and I began with Clojure in 2010. My domain expertise was in the Semantic Web and graph databases, which is where Iā€™m still spending a lot of my time.

Since I first started with Clojure Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work exclusively for employers who use it. Iā€™ve spent time on side projects with other languages in the meantime, but I keep coming back to Clojure. The language is just unreasonably effective :slight_smile:

Regards,
Paula Gearon

8 Likes

Hello everyone,

I started learning Clojure some months back. Iā€™m not a full-time programmer, more of a scholar working with digital humanities, semantic data, RDM, and such stuff. Iā€™ve always fancied programming and still try to learn new things as much as possible. I did some things with Haskell years back, and ever since I learned about Clojure some years ago Iā€™ve been looking for a small project I could work on.

So now Iā€™ve been working with a set of data analysis tools for a reseach project, using the Hoplon framework. Which has been a very interesting first project, althought perhaps not the easiest one to begin with.

I certainly like Clojure (& ClojureScript) quite much, and I do try to keep using them also in the future! Think more, write less!

Harri Kiiskinen

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Kees from Californiaā€¦

:yum:

Been on the silent periphery of programming communities for some time. Love code and design but no training, experience, history working with others. Anything Iā€™ve made just exists on my little island. I want to change that!

I work in foodservice. Love art and dance, homemaking, cooking, learning, music, movies,ā€¦ Even the outdoors these days.
I make the 4pm family coffee and it rekindled my caffeine addiction. But the teaā€¦

:bmo: Landed my first freelance for a full stack SPA in a fashion industry context.
I began studying cl/js several months ago when I got flustered with OOs. It feels natural to choose clojure as a challenge-inclined industry newcomer/outsider.

Thanks for reading. You could message with anything topical :kissing: Iā€™m open. Itā€™s nice to see this forum casts a broad net by location and experience. I look forward to continue to absorb what I read here, and hopefully enjoy consulting with others among the hobbyists and experts.

3 Likes

Hi harrikoo, Iā€™m a programmer working with scholars on things like RDF/OWL and digital humanities. I basically only use Clojure.

1 Like

Clojure holds for me the record as the language I have been most delighted to use for the longest time.

I have lived with my wife outside Philadelphia, PA, US, for a little over 35 years. Iā€™ve been programming for pay since 1978, and before that in 1969 or so in and out of class. (And I accidentally deleted my first program in 1968 or so: it was wires on a punchboard, and I used some of them to make my own, not realizing it was actually a ā€œprogramā€.)

Iā€™ve been using Clojure for 14 years, starting in production almost immediately when a system upgrade completely invalidated an existing interface to a medical system. Clojureā€™s native and interop abilities gave me XML processing, ZIP library access, and I was able to get time-sensitive reports off to the federal Medicare authorities about six hours after someone mentioned that the reports werenā€™t being sent. I credit Clojure for that, not myself.

Since then, Iā€™ve never left it out of my toolbox.

No other language has served me so long and so well, and the other day I explained what those others were by listing the languages I hadnā€™t used. Perl came nowhere close, nor Ruby, and though Iā€™ve used Java since 1997 or so (yes, JDK 1.0), I donā€™t reach for it unless my hands are tied. (Now thereā€™s a mixed metaphor!)

Grateful to Rich Hickey and the other developers and contributors and the community!

8 Likes

NIce to hear! I just found you clojure-graph-resources github repository, which contains some really interesting stuff.

Do you happen to have any suggestions for making SPARQL queries from ClojureScript? I ended up using this one: https://github.com/rubensworks/fetch-sparql-endpoint.js which was a bit complicatedā€¦

1 Like

Another one here :slight_smile:

Hello there ā€¦ Iā€™m Chris. Iā€™m a bit late here but am a Clojure (and Haskell) newbie of sorts. I rediscovered the joy of programming and fell in love with Clojure three years ago. Then I sold an org on the idea of Clojure (and designed/implemented a pedestal/graphql service) ā€¦ but a re-org gifted it folks who hadnā€™t signed up for my Clojure adventure and they revolted, so I almost shipped something in Clojure :slight_smile:. Still, Iā€™m done with coding in enterprise OO personally as a thing ā€¦ at this point I think I may have to found a company to work in Clojure / Haskell and get paid for it lol.

TLDR, my history if interested

2 Likes

Hi. Complete noob here. I learned (and loved) LISP as a college freshman 40 years ago, so I was excited to learn about Clojure.
Not a dev - background is in mathematical logic - though my day job does require some coding (Python, SQL, JS).

5 Likes

Hello everyone.

My name is ElĆ­as and Iā€™m from Switzerland. Currently, Iā€™m studying electrical engineering at EPFL.

I started to learn about Clojure a few years back, but didnā€™t go very far because lisp seemed too difficult. I was really used to Python before. Only recently I became interested again and have been playing with Clojure and Emacs lisp. Right now, Iā€™m trying to write my personal website in clj/cljs, but itā€™s slow progress.

Iā€™m also passionate about Model Rocketry, 3D Printing, Running and Science Fiction.

I prefer coffee to tea.

8 Likes

Hey everyone.

My name is Vinicios, Iā€™m Senior Software Engineer from Brazil. I started to learning Clojure a long time ago but only now Iā€™m was able to use in production along side with Elixir.

Currently Iā€™m studying Pedestal and Datomic through ClojureStream and my future goal is to work full-time with Clojure.

6 Likes

Hello Iā€™m Raoul,
itā€™s been now almost one year that Iā€™ve met Clojure, It was first when I bumped into (old) video from Rich Hickey, Stuart Halloway and plenty of other conferences where people were explaining things that made me want to try myself to ā€œplayā€ with Clojure. It had been a long time for me since programing didnā€™t really match with the word ā€œplayā€ and I though maybe it was time to change this, and go back to the fun I had when I spent days programming a ā€œmastermindā€ game in basic on my zx spectrum (48Kb - basic). So I started to learn during the week-end, and yes, I have fun with Clojure. When I have the feeling Iā€™ve understood something (even if I realize 3 weeks after that I had not), when my small program is working as expected and the code is easy to read/understand, when I see the ā€œbeautyā€ of a piece of code, each time I have fun. So thank you Clojure :slight_smile:
Of course Iā€™ll not say it was easy at the begining, but thatā€™s part of the dealā€¦and I must confess thatā€™s also the reason why I today register to the clojureverse.

ciao
:sunglasses:

8 Likes

Hello everyone!

I came out to the community (i.e clojurians slack) only this year after coding already in Clojure professionally for around 4-5y. Although I think of myself as a citizen of the world, however, I speak only Polish and English.
Iā€™d like to use the fact that Clojure community is so active and share my problems to get help but also start developing tutoring skills, as I already have some specific experiences worth sharing.

(happy coding)

9 Likes

Hi my name is Gustavo, Iā€™m from Brazil. Iā€™m a university student and this term I came across with a subject introducing Clojure, I saw it as a opportunity to develop as a Clojure programmer and try start/face BackEndā€™s world.

2 Likes

Hi There!
I am a software developer currently based in Leipzig, Germany. I have been writing Haskell for a living for the last 6-ish years. A few weeks ago I met a Clojure programmer at a meetup and decided to write something semi-serious in Clojure. So here I am.

6 Likes

I never expected to see others in DH here! I have been with the Office of Digital Humanities at BYU for over 5-years now, working primarily in Clojure

Hi, Iā€™m a long-time (typed) FPer, recently become fully seduced by Lisps. Very much enjoying Clojure so far! After years of Emacs usage and a general appreciation for Lisp-1 beauty, what finally pushed me over the edge was the talk ā€œStop writing dead programsā€ at last yearā€™s strange loop, which I saw for the first time recently.

Thanks for all the help so far and may the Lisp Torch burn for all time :fire:

4 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Dmitriy. Im relatively new to clojure, but using emacs for several years picked my interest in list languages. I was very pleasantly surprised to fond clojure shortly after. I was not able to dedicate a lot of time to it as I mostly develop in java and python but I wrote one small test project and am in process of developing a second web project to get myself more familiarized with best practices, libraries and community.
I love the feel of smaller but very energetic community. Very excited to be here.
Tea vs Coffee is a hard question. Coffee in the morning and Tea in the afternoon is usually a way to go for me.

1 Like