Introduce yourself!

Welcome, Dmitriy! I also got started in Lisp and Clojure through Emacs. Are you using CIDER yet? I just use a few lines of configuration and it works really well for me:

(setq
cider-repl-display-help-banner nil
cider-show-error-buffer nil)

And to activate paredit:

(add-hook 'cider-repl-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode)))
(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode)))

Coffee in the morning and Tea in the afternoon is usually a way to go for me.

Me too - but sometimes I have decaffeinated coffee in the evening, for some reason.

Thank you @seabass. I will give it a try. I keep switching between vim and emacs for different things and maybe will try to setup vim to be usable for clojure as well.

I familiarised myself with Vim about ten years ago because it was the only text editor that would run acceptably on my measly Intel Atom computer at the time :slight_smile: I rather liked it for more than its performance though and continue to use it now and then. I havenā€™t used Vim for Clojure, but I do know of one plugin by the redoubtable Tim Pope (GitHub - tpope/vim-fireplace: fireplace.vim: Clojure REPL support) and a Neovim one (GitHub - Olical/conjure: Interactive evaluation for Neovim (Clojure, Fennel, Janet, Racket, Hy, MIT Scheme, Guile)), which, tangentially, got me into Fennel (https://fennel-lang.org) without having ever used it either! Iā€™m sure people here would be eager to help if you leave any questions in a new topic (about either Vim or Emacs)! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m Bob Schrag, of late in Las Vegasā€”where itā€™s hot (but dry!) and you can ride your bike around the desert all year (if your schedule can flex).

I am a die-hard Lisper, since the early 1980s (yes, before Common Lisp).

Iā€™ve come late to Clojure. A prospective employer recently auditioned me on a natural language processing task, which (given time constraints) seemed like a no-brainer for logic programming in Lisp. My Common Lisp-based solution fell flat, so I scrambled around to spin up on Clojureā€”but didnā€™t find a really suitable embedded Prologā€¦

ā€¦so, Iā€™ve created one (just released): clolog

Hope you like it! (Let me know?)

Besides advantages of a modern software ecosystem, Clojureā€™s language design has won me over. Iā€™m still in Emacs, with CIDER, still banging on control-mouse-middle (see my answer, second), which save so many keystrokes and helps keep the brain zoned in.

Steeped in ā€œgood old-fashioned artificial intelligenceā€ (GOFAI)ā€”but excited about opportunities to combine that classical ā€œleft-brainā€/logical approach with recent large language model (LLM) ā€œright-brainā€/intuitive technology.

Semi-involuntarily semi-retired by (indirectly) the whole Covid thing, looking around for a way to un-retire, interestingly.

I love to build things, am at my best solving hard, complex problems. I hope ones that matter.

My side (?) passion is to create a community engagement platform supporting structured argumentation, towards civil discourse, to help the world navigate around left-, right-, or off-centered propaganda, towards truth. I got this bug building the probabilistic argument maps IDE whose change-tracking graphical editor can shift between alternative positions/perspectives. (A big JavaScript job stuck in legacy jQuery stuffā€”but CLJS is the only way I want to build todayā€™s web app.) Hereā€™s a paperā€”with links to videos of coolnessā€¦

Hereā€™s an early video on civil discourse hopes.

For more on the dirt that Iā€™ve kicked up all these years, see my LinkedIn profile or my excruciating resume.

Happy Clojuring! (To quote an old friend, ā€œTo code is to have joy.ā€ Much joy to all.)

2 Likes

Welcome!

I am a die-hard Lisper, since the early 1980s (yes, before Common Lisp).

Do you still have a Lisp Machine? They are very rare now! I think they show that interactivity easily makes up for raw performance in certain fields.

Iā€™ve come late to Clojure. A prospective employer recently auditioned me on a natural language processing task, which (given time constraints) seemed like a no-brainer for logic programming in Lisp. My Common Lisp-based solution fell flat, so I scrambled around to spin up on Clojureā€”but didnā€™t find a really suitable embedded Prologā€¦

ā€¦so, Iā€™ve created one (just released): clolog

Hope you like it! (Let me know?)

Does that mean youā€™ve created a Prolog interpreter in Clojure, rather than embedding SWI or something?

Steeped in ā€œgood old-fashioned artificial intelligenceā€ (GOFAI)ā€”but excited about opportunities to combine that classical ā€œleft-brainā€/logical approach with recent large language model (LLM) ā€œright-brainā€/intuitive technology.

I sometimes see too much of myself in LLMs - a tendency to get far too distracted following some tangential topic :smiley: Excited to see what comes out of the Clojure world with regards to ML.

I love to build things, am at my best solving hard, complex problems. I hope ones that matter.

Do you have any experience in graph theory, by any chance?

No, no Lisp machineā€¦

Yes, a Prolog embedded in Clojure.

Graph theory? Well, graph algorithms, random graphs, probabilistic graphical models, web-based change-tracking graph editors, knowledge graphs, ā€¦

1 Like

Hi!

Iā€™m Asko, a full-stack Clojurian from Estonia. Iā€™ve been a software engineer for 12 years of which Iā€™ve been doing Clojure full-time now for about 5 years and decided to finally join the forums. As a hobby I like to build stuff. Whether that is open source projects, custom PC builds, custom motorcycle builds - you name it. If it can be built, I probably at one point would like to try building it.

1 Like

Hi,

my name is Piotr Bartosik and Iā€™m from Cracow. Iā€™ve been working as a C/C++/Python/Java developer for over 10 years, but this year I thought it might be worth switching to some serious programming before I retire;) For now, Iā€™m writing some hobby projects in Clojure/Script and I hope that as a beginner I will get some valuable tips here. Nice to meet you all! I like both coffee and tea, both black, strong and without sugar.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @replee! Itā€™s good to have you on the forums, and I must say your open source libraries look like theyā€™d really useful in some of my projectsā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome @artbookspirit! Please do feel free to share your hobby projects here if you would like extra feedback on them :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for suggestion! I finally was able to spend some time to setup the environment and started to experiment with fireplace and default vim. The setup was a little convoluted and took couple of tries bit overall worked after I reread the documentation again.

Cool Dave! Yeah Datomic seemed really cool when I read about it not too long ago.

Did you go to the first NFL game between Tampa Bay and Seattle held in Munich in 2022?

Hi fosskers. What is a point from that talk that resonated with you? Youā€™ve piqued my interest to watch it.

Hi @artbookspirit, haha ā€œserious programming.ā€ Funny thing about that is I actually felt that way after years of programming Excel/VBA ā€“ which is part of the reason Iā€™m coming to Clojure.

Canā€™t say I did. Iā€™ve been to FC Union and Hertha BSC games, though, and itā€™s a ton of fun.

That sounds terrific. I am looking forward to attending my first fĆŗtbol game out there. Are you fairly comfortable speaking Deutsch?

ā€¦Jein!

haha :laughing: the ā€œJā€ made me think that it may have been affirmative. Nice to meet you, Dave.

Hi sonatsuer, wow thatā€™s pretty cool to be employed to write Haskell. Well, how has it been to start a semi-serious project in a brand new language? New ecosystem?

Hi Tory, thatā€™s very cool! Howā€™d you get started with Clojure, in the first place?

1 Like