Introduce yourself!

Hi,

my name is Manuel and I am writing from Vicenza (Italy).

I’ve been working with Clojure/ClojureScript for almost a year, but been in love with it for three years now. I am an Emacs junkie who can take a bit of Haskell for a change every now and then.

More about me on my website: https://manuel-uberti.github.io/

Happy to join this community. :blush:

4 Likes

nil post must be at least 20 characters

1 Like

Some really good art there man.

Hey dorab, nice to see a fellow Indian. I am surprised Bombay had LISP/Scheme users back in the day? I am guessing 10-15 yrs?

Finally decided to sign up for ClojureVerse. Hi! I’m Tim Baldridge.

I started programming when I was 10 with GWBasic on a 386 I cobbled together out of parts in my Dad’s basement. From there I moved on to QBasic, then C, VB, PHP, Python. I started looking into functional programming around 2008 and got into Erlang. From there I did some work in Ruby and C#. Around 2010 I found Clojure and that changed my brain for the better. I started working for Cognitect in 2012, and most recently moved on to Cisco’s ThreatGrid (still using Clojure).

For me, languages always felt limiting. I pushed C# into some strange areas with on-the-fly code generation via Linq.Expressions, but it always felt like I was fighting the syntax. Same with Erlang, there was no way to customize the syntax there, and the process model seemed to limiting for tasks that were always running on a single box. Clojure hit that sweet spot of being functional and making mutable things awkward, while giving me powerful tools for flexibility at the same time.

5 Likes

Hi Pankaj

Sorry if I gave the impression that the LISP was in Bombay.
I came across LISP and Emacs in the late 70’s at UCLA.

Where in India are you currently based?

Dorab

Ohh nice to know. I am currently based in Ahmedabad.

Hey there.

I am a brand new Clojurist, having just finished reading ‘Clojure for the Brave and True’ this past weekend. I come from the not so distant land of Common Lisp, where it occupied nearly all of my free time for 10 years, and before that I dabbled in Python for a couple years.

I have heard lots of nice talk about Clojure in the last 1-2 years, and I always dismissed it as “just another Lisp”, not bothering to look into what it was about. For the same amount of time, I have read multiple books on about a dozen different languages, hoping to find one that interested me enough to use in addition to Common Lisp. While there were a lot of languages that interested me, most of them were either too immature, or too difficult to use in a practical manner, so it left me continuing to use Common Lisp exclusively for a long time.

Last week, about half way through a book on Haskell, I decided it wasn’t what I wanted, and decided to look at a language closer to home: Clojure. I just so happened to have a copy of “Clojure for the Brave and True” that I bought not too long ago, and over the weekend I read it.

After reading that book and viewing a few Clojure keynotes on the Internet, it pretty much changed the way I think about programming and how code should be written. Clojure is the nicest language I have ever seen, hands down. At this point in time I have only written about 100 lines of code, and I can honestly say that Clojure is not going to become my secondary language alongside Common Lisp – it is most definitely going to become my primary language.

I still have a lot to learn, coming from Common Lisp, a language which has encourages me to write in a mutable fashion, and which is lacking lot of constructs of Clojure, but that is a journey I look forward to.

4 Likes

Hey mfiano, nice to see a long time lisper here. I am mostly hobby common lisp programmer with zero commercial exp with lisp, and i just had a similar experience, clojure really changed my mind without the tall claims of strictly typed languages like Haskell, it narrows down mutation to few local sites or fixed global sites. The API and syntax of Clojure is cleaner than common lisp.

Hi everyone! I’m a data scientist working for a huge Italian insurance company and I’m trying to sneak Clojure in as much as I can :wink:!

My aim is to shift more towards building data intensive products than analysis and modeling and I think Clojure can become my secret weapon.

In case you have resources about ETL, pipelines and services in Clojure please let me know! We can discuss them together especially if you do the same stuff for living :grin:

3 Likes

I agree completely. I am really enjoying this language. Nice to hear from another long time common lisp hobby programmer!

1 Like

WoW! Thats a nice endeavour, good luck to you! :+1:

1 Like

My name is Chris Johnson Bidler. I’ve been writing software professionally for just about twenty years, mostly using Java to move medium-to-large data around with high standards for correctness and audibility in healthcare IT, retail, and fintech companies. I was first introduced to Clojure back in 2011 or so, when a small group of devs in the shop where I worked made a play to start using it in production. I took a look at what they were building and was immediately hooked.

My trajectory since that introduction has involved more Clojure, more Clojure evangelism (of mixed success; it turns out that not everyone wants to leave their comfort zone, even when their comfort zone is enterprise Java), and today I am CTO of a Centriq Technology, a startup that uses Clojure back to front, from Datomic as system-of-record all the way out to re-frame SPAs and Clojurescript-driven React Native mobile clients.

Centriq is a 100% distributed team, and that’s a good thing for me since I live in South Bend, Indiana, USA. It’s like a suburb of Chicago, but far to the east …no, farther than that …past the Central time/Eastern time boundary …so far that the “of Chicago” gets filed off and you end up with “a suburb”. :laughing:

When I’m not working, I love to cook, read, and work on teaching my daughter how to build robots (using Arduino, RPi, and eventually 3D printing for frames and limbs) and how to talk to those robots using Clojure. Poor kid, she’s going to find 99% of the programming out in the world to be the aesthetic equivalent of wearing plaid socks and checked pants together. I also try to give 2-3 meetup talks a year at venues like AWS Chicago, Chicago Serverless, and Hack Michiana (the local Code for America brigade) to step out of my comfort zone and to share some of what I have learned with the community.

4 Likes

Hi,

I am Michael (from Germany). Clojure is the first programming language I really try to learn. Hoplon.io convinced me that Lisp can do it. Now, I want to join your cult :grinning:

9 Likes

Hi,

I’m Bill, from the SF Bay area.

I had spent many years doing Java, ~16+ so likely too many :slight_smile: when I became so frustrated with concurrency models in it that I started looking for something else. I started looking into Go, Scala, and Clojure. Clojure quickly won my heart, in a landslide.

Fast forward a few years, and I turned the career slowly but surely in the path I want. I’ve been doing Clojure professionally for over a year now and love it.

In my spare time I’m using Clojure for arcade-style 2D games.

3 Likes

Hello,

I’m Peter, living in Stockholm, Sweden, where I work at a Clojure powered FinTech startup (https://youple.se).

I’m rather a project manager than a coder, but I code for fun, and Clojure is fun! I am very new to functional and LISP stuff and Clojure is my first experience with it. You will probably see me ask very dumb questions now and then.

To support my own development workflow I forked off a promising VS Code extension and released Calva. It is my attempt to bring to VS Code some of that interactive programming that Emacs/Cider users enjoy. I should probably rewrite it in Clojurescript. Maybe someday…

6 Likes

Hi,

My name is Matthias, and I live in Aarhus, Denmark, where I work at a local Clojure-based startup called Ingenium Golf.

I started my (hobbyist) programming journey with Perl, went on to Java, and from there branched out to try a bunch of different languages: Haskell, Coq, Scala and some others. My interest in Clojure started during that time as well, around Clojure 1.1. My first real programming job was iOS development with Objective-C, after which I had a year of IBM mainframe coding in PL/I. For the past 4-5 years I have been working full time with Clojure on the back-end and Javascript on the front-end. My side-projects are all Clojure-based, and have been since I discovered Clojure.

I’m mostly a lurker on forums such as these, but I thought I would introduce myself anyway. Maybe that will make me participate a bit more. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi, my name is Alberto, I live near Barcelona, Spain.

I’ve been working with javascript (front, back, desktop, mobile) for the past 6 years. I really enjoyed to do some functional and reactive programming with the new tools available in Javascript, so I decided to dig more into functional programming, where I discovered Clojure and Lisp in general.

I am in the process of learning Clojure and ClojureScript now, while I keep up to date in javascript for day jobs. I have a terrible memory, don’t even remember how I got to these forums! The community looks great, so I hope to spend a good time reading&writing here :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome Michael, welcome to the cult. :yum:

1 Like

The rewrite of Calva in ClojureScript has begun since a while. Just mentioning that. :smile: One of the reasons for the rewrite is to make it more fun to work with the development of the extension and through that hopefully get more people involved.