Introduce yourself!

You can also check out http://spacemacs.org/, if you use vim mode (aka evil mode), it’s really close to vim. Took me like 2-3 days to get the hang of it (tabs are called layouts and you need to configure them a bit to behave like in vim).

Personally think emacs has a nicer plugin ecosystem than vim, but I like vim style of editing so with Spacemacs I kinda got the best of both worlds :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey folks, I’m Robert. I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

I’ve been in the Clojure community for a while, and I must say, it’s a great place to settle in and get comfortable!

I’m CTO at Cognician, a digital coaching SaaS platform, where we’ve been using full-stack Clojure/Datomic since 2012. I’m humbled by how much using this tech – and the principles and philosophy behind it – has taught me, and provided value to the mission we’re on.

A small change for me in 2018 is that I am now offering a small number of consulting hours per month, mostly to bring that 5+ years of experience back into the community – and, if I’m honest, to accelerate my own learning even more! (If you’re curious, check out my profile for my website).

I also want to thank the folks who set this community site up - I think it is rapidly becoming a core of the Clojure ecosystem!

8 Likes

Howdy,

I’m Eli. I’ve dabbled in web development since high school, but took a break in college and grad school where I studied Human Ecology. Since graduating I’ve been working as a web dev. Mostly using PHP.

This year I’m aiming to solidify everything I know about web dev. and computer science (which is all self taught). I’ve been reading about, and playing with various LISP languages, and I’m really excited to buckle down and learn one inside and out. Hoping to start that journey here!

I blog over on my tiny website, https://eli.li, and I very much like biking.

5 Likes

Hello, Versers!

My name is Ivan, I’m @spiralganglion, and my splashy art/music/code portfolio is ivanish.ca.

I write ClojureScript for fun and profit.

A recent “for fun” is this generative music system that you could listen to for hours on end, depending on your proclivity for such weirdness.

My “for profit” is a company that makes crazy interactive animations to help people learn about gigantic machines and the hydraulic/electrical principles that love them.

This year, I’m working on tools for the artist-coders on my team, implemented in — you guessed it — ClojureScript. The goal is to end up somewhere in the space of Flash, HyperCard, SmallTalk, Unity, Max/MSP, Luna, etc., but suitable for making the sorts of interactive animations that are our specialty.

I’ll be posting here in the verse on subjects like:

• visual programming languages!
  • SVG & WebGL!
  • generative art!
  • how the hell do I turn this datastructure into that datastructure ahhh help!

See you around, Lisp’ums

8 Likes

Hello,

My name is Anurag. I’m a masters student at University of Florida.

I got introduced to Lisp in a very different way: I was very much into front end development during my undergrad but with a little formal study about JavaScript (I just googled what was needed and rest worked similar to C, Java). In a job interview I was asked about prototype inheritance which I had no clue about.
After being rejected, I decided to study JavaScript inside out. I came across Douglas Crockford’s amazing videos on youtube, in which he mentions JavaScript being really a Lisp in Java’s clothing. Upon his recommendation I started reading Little Schemer and instant got hooked to Lisp.
After coming to UF, I had some free time after classes so I decided to learn a functional language. I considered Haskell and Clojure and finally settled down on Clojure (to learn first), to get an experience in using “real life” Lisp.

Apart from Clojure, I got to work with Elixir, which is another really cool language.
Here’s my home page and repo, which has several in progress projects, some blog posts and other things.

4 Likes

Hi!

I’m Inge, working in DNV GL in Trondheim Norway. We make web apps using Clojure and Clojurescript.

I was intrigued by Clojure for a year or two. The thing that really brought me on board was the web development book by @Yogthos. After doing web development in Java for many years, moving to Ring and Compojure was such a relief.

It’s safe to say that I’m a Clojure evangelist. I’ve been using Clojure for most of my work for a couple of years now, gaining some serious experience. But I still feel that I keep learning important stuff every day.

Sometimes I write about clojure on http://ingesolvoll.github.io. I should do that more often, and so should other people who want to spread the word about Clojure and share their experience.

5 Likes

I was in Trondheim a few years back. Lovely part of the world!

Yes, I like it here :slight_smile: Where are you from?

Alberta, in Canada. It’s a bit like Norway, but with the ocean drained — in that the whole time we were in Norway, my wife and I kept thinking “This is like the Rocky Mountains, but with the ocean.” Beautiful.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Aaron. I’ve had studied Lisp twenty years ago in my PhD program for AI. About 5 years ago, I ran into Clojure after my interests in functional programming and study of Scala. I noticed some Twitter posts about Clojure’s amazing capability. Since then, it’s been a recreation for me to program in Clojure.

For 2018, I wish that I could find an opportunity to program in Clojure for a living. I’d like to volunteer or participate in open source projects to explore my chance and horn my skills. If you could help me, please let me know.

I have deep learning background (with a Ph.D.), and also completed successfully the study of self-driving-car with Udacity. I also have extensive experience in software development, especially project management. I’m currently searching for jobs related to machine learning and data science. It would be my dream come true to do machine learning with Clojure.

I now live in San Francisco area.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

4 Likes

Judging by the name, do you speak Chinese?

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for doing it so late after registration. I am Pankaj (Pronounced: Punk + edge). I am a web developer for yrs now my last job was about Rails/Go/Nodejs but mostly the first two. I have on and off learnt clojure, i have completed 2.5 books on clojure. Clojure for the brave and true, Clojurescript Unraveled, and currently reading Joy of Clojure. I made a small tetris in Om/clojurescript.

I have studied lisp/scheme in the past, and implemented a scheme interpreter in C.
So not a lisp noob i like clojure because of the amazing API compared to other lisps. and even better than scheme srfi’s.

Haven’t build a full backend in clojure yet, looking forward to learning some framework soon.
Any suggestions on what to study for the backend does Joy of clojure cover any backend stuff?

BTW, i live in India.

Github : github.com/metacritical
Twitter : @pankajdoharey

Thanks and Regards.

2 Likes

Hey Inge, are you aware that DNV GL uses a Clojure-built platform for digital coaching? DNV GL is a Cognician customer! It’s awesome to find out that DNV GL also builds with the Clojure stack! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool :slight_smile: I’m not a leader so didn’t use your software so far!

DNV GL is a very large organization, so it’s hard to get an overview of what everyone’s doing. But so far we bumped into one more team doing Clojure full time, in Spain :slight_smile:

Yes, I do speak Chinese.

Would you like to join us on WeChat?

hi

My name is Maris. I work as clojure[script] developer. I enjoy programming in clojure :grinning:
I am from Latvia but I live in London now.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Laurent. I’m from France.

I heard about Clojure with Rich Hickey’s talks on Simplicity and that greatly influenced me in the way that I program and design the softwares that I make.
I’ve been a java programme for about 15 years. I’m a beginner in Clojure but I would like to be able to work with this language. There seems to be so much to gain from all those concepts in Clojure, immutable datasctructures, funtional programming, REPL, the community and the so many librairies, and the plethora of parentheses!!! :slight_smile:

Happy to be a clojurist, I hope to learn more with you guys!

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Christian. I’m from Germany.

I have started Clojure in 2012 because I was frustrated by the lack of productivity and expressivity when I was working on collaborative infrastructure in form of a voting tool (Votorola) in Java. I have been very happy with Clojure(Script) so far (I have also learnt JavaScript, R, Python and a bit of Haskell in the meantime) and have built a set of cross-platform libraries in replikativ. I have just started a company that is managed like a cooperative around Clojure and is supposed to provide the commercial side for distributed system consulting.

I have also just finished my master’s degree in Bayesian Deep Learning and will start a PhD working with Anglican in Vancouver soon. I think Clojure is still unique in the space of programming languages and I will try to work to make it more approachable for data science. It is still a bit lacking there and I would like to hear other people’s opinions’, both about the data management and state replication side of replikativ and what needs they have to do data analysis in Clojure. Clojure has allowed me to be much more productive and I hope that this will be applicable to teamwork as well.

Happy hacking!
Christian

3 Likes

Hi

Long time LISP/Scheme and Emacs user. Using Clojure the last few years. Enjoying it.
Originally from Bombay, India. Now in the Los Angeles, California area.

Dorab

2 Likes