Introduce yourself!

I think not. I still find it here: http://www.4clojure.com/

1 Like

youā€™re right, I got confused.

2 Likes

Mystery solved, apparently our corporate network somehow blocks the 4clojure.com!

Maybe they are afraid you will learn too much, too cheaply?

more like produce too much in too little time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Iā€™m Simon and I work on a big Clojure/ClojureScript project in the Danish public sector. This is my day job. I consider myself quite lucky that I get to write Clojure all day and get paid for it.

I also work on sino.study, which is a Chinese dictionary (and soon-to-be grammar tool) - also written in Clojure/ClojureScript. This is my passion project, so I experiment a lot and try to stay updated on new technology. Iā€™ve been working on and off on it for about a year, but itā€™s not quite done yet.

7 Likes

Hello, everybody
Iā€™m not a software developer (and Iā€™ve never been), but all my computer journey, so to say, started from Basic/Assembler/Turbo Pascal. Currently Iā€™m working as system administrator, automating things with PowerShell, but want to learn something real. Tried Scala, but was not excited, so my friend suggested Clojure and my wow-switch got triggered. Iā€™ve been preparing my brain for it with Rich Hickeyā€™s talks for a while, and now it goes pretty slowly, but Iā€™m remaining quite resolute.

7 Likes

Hi @SyBorg,
You donā€™t need to be a software developer -with pedigree/diploma, and everything. Thereā€™s quite many talented people out there with the skills and abilities, and importantly with the resolution (just like you) to learn and develop themselves. See for instance Alvaro Videlaā€™spowerful story

Good luck with your learning journey,

1 Like

Hi All,

Iā€™m Jon Pither and I work for JUXT.pro on various projects using Clojure. Lovely to join and meet you all! Currently thinking about the successor to our XT16 conference, XT20 in 2020! (XT16 was here: https://juxt.pro/blog/posts/XT16-after.html).

Love to chat about all things, random or otherwise,

Regards,

Jon.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Michael. Iā€™m an Australian living in Tokyo. Iā€™m a hobbyist programmer; Ruby was my first love but Iā€™ve recently discovered Clojure and have been enjoying it immensely.

My two kids require a lot of attention so I tend to code on my phone, using the iOS app Blink to connect to a Raspberry Pi running my development environment.

Happy to meet you all!

1 Like

Welcome! :slight_smile:

I did something along those lines a couple of years back, but with an Android tablet. I really enjoyed the mobile experience, but I eventually had to abandon the workflow because I could not use an external screen (or a USB-connected keyboard). Is that something you have experience with?

Iā€™ve thought about going ā€˜full mobileā€™ and using something like an iPad for when I want more screen real estate but, at the moment, if I do want a larger screen, thatā€™s when I bust out the laptop.

Hi all!

Iā€™m Kirill, from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. Iā€™ve been working in IT for 7 years, mostly as a developer. Started my journey from procedural PHP, continued with OO C# and little bit of Java and finally found myself learning functional programming in JavaScript as frontend developer. :slight_smile:

JS re-opened programming for me and functional programming seem to become my new passion in life. I was inspired by some talks by Rich Hickey, like ā€œValue of valuesā€ and ā€œSimple made easyā€ and he opened world of Clojure for me. So Iā€™m learning it now, trying to implement some simple things and hope to find some like-minded people in this community.

Also hope to get full-time Clojure job eventually, but Iā€™m happy to learn this language as a hobby for now.

5 Likes

Hello, everyone!

Itā€™s only polite that I introduce myself.

My name is Teodor, and I live in Oslo, Norway. Professionally, Iā€™ve worked with structural engineering and software. I took initiative to use Elm at Oslo Code Club, and I have a website where I release my thoughts when they start clogging up my head.

Hereā€™s a video of the bridge Iā€™m working on now (in Norwegian):

Nice to meet you all!

Teodor

5 Likes

Hello awesome Clojure people :slight_smile:
Iā€™m Amer from Egypt, Iā€™ve lived all my programming life, mutating states, in algorithmic competitions playing around with data structures and optimization tasks.
Till Iā€™ve joined a good ā€˜AIā€™ company which totally changed my mind about states manipulation, they are using Clojure and Datomic as their main stack, and others indeed.
Since then Iā€™ve been so mad at the power of Clojure and Lisp in general, Iā€™m so fascinated about using ā€˜read-stringā€™, ā€˜evalā€™, and indeed macros. I wish that one day I could use and benefit from all my algorithmic background, in Clojure.
I love the community so much, Rich Hecky and his talks in particular.

2 Likes

ā€œyour journey towards Clojureā€
scheme -> js/python -> java -> scheme -> clojure

ā€œthe things youā€™re working onā€
parsing infix expressions, polynomial expansion

ā€œwhere youā€™re from or where you liveā€
NYC

ā€œyou elsewhere on the web (home page, Twitter or Github account)ā€

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-miles-pruski/

ā€œhow people can support youā€
do you know any gigs?

ā€œany particular hobbies or interestsā€
solid geometry, Buckminster Fuller, fluid mechanics, pharmaceutical/medical device,

ā€œanything else you like to shareā€
I am a medical doctor, but I donā€™t have a license

3 Likes

I thought Iā€™d already introduced myself here but it seems not in this thread (was there another ā€œintroductionsā€ thread?).

Iā€™m Sean Corfield / seancorfield pretty much everywhere on the web and Iā€™ve been programming almost all my long life ā€“ since my dad bought me a programmable calculator around 1977 :slight_smile:

My journey to Clojure has been a long and wandering one. I first encountered Lisp at university in the early 80ā€™s, as well as APL, ML, SASL, Mirandaā€¦ My first job was writing COBOL and assembler, then C, then C++ (for almost a decade), then Java (starting in 1997). I was working at Macromedia when they acquired Allaire so I did a lot of ColdFusion programming during the 00ā€™s, then Groovy, then Scala. And it was the option of once again doing FP after so many years of OOP that made Clojure catch my eye back in 2010.

By that point, I was working for an online dating company ā€“ World Singles Networks ā€“ and I introduced Clojure there in 2011 (1.3 Alpha 7 or 8 was the first version we went to production with). Iā€™m still there, still working with Clojure day-in, day-out, on our online dating platform, which now has about 89,000 lines of Clojure.

I also maintain a bunch of open source libraries, including clojure.java.jdbc, clojure.core.cache, clojure.core.memoize, clojure.tools.cli, honeysql, clj-time. My ā€œhammockā€ time right now is focused on next.jdbc ā€“ the next generation of clojure.java.jdbc. Iā€™ve been a passionate advocate of open source since the early 90ā€™s.

I love helping people online as they learn Clojure so youā€™ll find me very active on the Clojurians Slack and the Clojurians Zulip (Iā€™m also one of the Admins for the former).

I was born and raised in Northern Ireland. My family moved back to Southern England at the end of the 60ā€™s, because of ā€œThe Troublesā€, where I lived until I emigrated to California in 1999. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (and detest Silicon Valley culture!) ā€“ and Iā€™ve been a U.S. citizen since 2005.

When Iā€™m not programming, Iā€™m probably at a cat show. For years, my partner, Jay, and I bred and showed Bengal cats ā€“ and Jay is a cat show judge and travels all over the world. Sometimes, I get to go too, so Iā€™ve been to Australia, Japan, Holland, France, and back to England, all for cat shows! :cat:

10 Likes

We used to do monthly introduction threads, but in the end decided to just keep it all in one thread. Iā€™ll have a look if I can merge the other ones into this one.

Update: Iā€™ve merged the threads from November and December 2017 into this one.

1 Like

Kind of interesting to read my self-intro from November 2017, compared to nowā€¦

Weā€™re on Clojure 1.10 in production now (after being on all the alpha/beta builds in production during that cycle).

So weā€™ve added about 25K lines in 15 months!

We switched our tooling completely to CLI / deps.edn in 2018, and I switched from ProtoREPL to Chlorine recently ā€“ I love that it works with a bare Socket REPL!

1 Like

Iā€™m Blake, Iā€™m originally from Arizona and I now live in the desert near Los Angeles. Iā€™ve been a big fan of Clojure since 1.0.

I now use it professionally at IRIS.TV where it powers all our distributed data processing atop Kafka, Spark & Cassandra, microservices in kubernetes, and an internal ClojureScript app for our staff.

I am fond of both tea and coffee. Iā€™m also into cycling, playing music, and nutrition.

1 Like