Introduce yourself!

Hi I’m Jonathan,

I’m from Pennsylvania; I moved around a few times but ended up back in old stomping grounds looking to help my home town improve. I’ve been a fan of clojure for a long time, been to a few conj’s but typically keep a low profile.

I work at USPS, I’ve used clojure on some backend items at work, the org is very java centric so I squeezed clojure in where I could: load testing, UI testing, data processing etc.

I’m fond of coffee, pizza (thanks the pizza book!! aq, mrb!). I spend time with guitar and ukelele, exercising, and international adoption of special needs children (this one is very important to me).

I’d like to thank the community, and everyone involved in clojure (and its ecosystem) in providing something so great. I am sure it can feel tiring and thankless work at times, but you must know it does provide deep, very real impact to peoples lives.

Hope to see everyone around!

Jon

6 Likes

My name is Théophile, but you can call me Theo :wink:

I’m from the French Alps, now living in Paris but trying to do Tech Nomadism as much as possible :sunny:

I discovered Clojure at a JS conference in 2014 — David Nolen was the speaker and I knew straight away this language was going to be my future :star_struck:

However I had to wait until July 2016 when I started Booctin to work full-time with full-stack Clojure — finally :muscle:

In 2018 I started building Multis (Cryptobank for companies) and this time I went with full-stack ClojureScript: a static webapp powered by re-frame hitting Firebase Firestore and Cloud Functions written in cljs. If you’re curious I wrote a post about this stack (spoiler: shadow-cljs is bliss) :nerd_face:

Last year I waited for EuroClojure to happen but it didn’t… So I’m really looking forward to attending Heart of Clojure this year to finally connect with the Clojure community again :hugs:

Apart from that, well, four cups of coffee per day :coffee:

À bientôt !

4 Likes

Hello

My name is Mogens. I live in Denmark. I am a mathematician, but work day to day as Test Lead.
I just love everything about Clojure :slight_smile:

I am the author of:

Mogens

7 Likes

Hello Mogens! Nice to see you here. I’ve stumbled upon your project, and it’s quite fascinating.

It would be interesting to hear what plans you have for the project. Getting started with Clojure is currently hard, and Racket approaches that challenge by providing a ready-made editor.

Hi Teodor

Thank you very much. It is a touch question. In Emacs, you extend the editor using elisp and then write clojure to interact with a clojure repl, which is somewhere outside Emacs. My goal is to have an editor, you can extend using Clojure (and all existing java libraries) where you interact directly with the application you are creating, not “intergrating”, but “interacting”. This works today. I use it everyday at home and at work. I evaluate code on the fly to modify the editor depending on, what I am working on. So, my focus ongoing, is to make it easier for others to understand and use the editor and to make it more userfriendly. That is very difficult in practice! And it is even more difficult to make it beginner friendly without sacrificing some power, but I do have that in mind.

Nice to see you too.

/Mogens

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Jona Ekenberg, and I use clojure to create an online dueling card game - using Arcadia (clojure in unity). :slight_smile: If this sounds interesting to you I post updates from time to time on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Saikyun

I like to improve development environments, and actively try to find new ways to improve my workflow.
This search for improvement spills over into other areas of my life, such as when during a day to spend energy, beating people in fighting games and coffee brewing. :smiley:

I have a son and wife and we live outside a small town in Sweden. I hope to be able to work from our home in the future.

Nice to meet you all. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi, my name is Tyler, I’m from New York but have lived in Connecticut for the last 5 years or so.

I’m just getting started with Clojure and Lisps after working through some Scheme but I find it a lot of fun to work with. I’m planning on using it for some hobby projects soon. For my job I’m a developer with C#/JavaScript/SQL. I’m also learning F# and trying to get better acquainted with the functional approach to programming. I started programming with QBasic and C and I’ve dabbled with a number of languages.

For me it’s coffee and tea and a lot of seltzer lately.

You can find me on the web at my website, www.tylerrhodes.net, on Twitter @itcheeze, and at Github:https://github.com/tylerlrhodes

4 Likes

Hello, Tyler! I poked around in your website. Cool to hear that you’re reading Taleb and about the OODA loop!

Hi Teodor!

Yeah I’m looking forward to reading about Boyd and the OODA. I forget what I read that said it was a great book.

You’ve got some good resources on your site, I’ll have to go back your essays it looks like you have some good stuff.

Thanks for saying hello

2 Likes

Hey, Tyler! Your blog post on Netflix and Twitter habit is inspirational, kudos!

Hi All,

i’m Dario. I’m from Italy but I live currenlty in France, Nancy.

I’m working as dev in the Linux opensource world/ecosystem and use various languages in legacy systems… I’m around also as opensource dev, and Clojure is one of my favorite langague.

A part of technical projects, I like to read great books from Philosophy, science and computer science, anything that make me thinking :smile:

My first programming language was the German language :smile:, since I lived there some time.

( I’m also a fun on N Taleb)

You can find me in GitHub: https://github.com/MalloZup or Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarioMaiocchi

or at the next European Clojure conf (Clojure Hearth) which I have booked as relaxed listener :sunny: :sun_with_face:

When I’m not coding, I’m reading or outside with dogs :dog:

5 Likes

Hello,

My name is Jae-hun and I lives in South Korea, Yong-in city. I’m doing freelance prorgramming now.

Before 4 years ago, I used Clojure for making backend API server that backs android app. It was wonderful experience and I felt OO to FP paradigm shift. But, now I’m using Java mostly. In South Korea, Java/Spring is very dominant in industry. It is nearly impossible to find Clojure job here.

I didn’t like coffee, but in recent 2 years drinking coffee in the morning becomes my habit. I think I should change this habit.

Clojure is my favorite programming language and I hope to use Clojure at work sometime later.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Ross
I Like very strong black coffee, weak, air dried, young tea from the mountains, fermented food, real ale, mead & the simple pleasures of life.
I do what I need to, I arrived at closure from autocad lisp -> common lisp and emacs. apart from lisp and a few spreadsheet formula functions, I know nothing of any living program language.

I put up a website to display, and hopefully sell, my wifes old books.http://www.mammybearsbooks.com
Its got no javascript, cookies, adds, etc
Maybe I should make it easier for people to buy the books, say maybe add a shopping cart.

I hate the way the internet has gone.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Mario, from Zurich (Switzerland, right in the middle of Europe and at the same time far outside it)

3 years ago I worked as a project manager doing market research, i.e. a glorified PowerPoint “data analyst”, having graduated in Political Science, or more precisely Comparative and International Studies, but it’s basically the same.

I did not like it.

So at the young and tender age of 31 I reduced my workload from full time 100% to part time 70% and began a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, without ever having done anything more complicated programming-wise than a data plot in R.

Then 1 and a half year ago I landed my first job as a developer, where I write some C# and a lot of JS/React :partying_face:

As a newbie in and pretty late comer to this Dev business, I have to tell you: the Clojure community is way more intimidating to me than JS land, just because the people here are on average way more experienced.

But what the heck, leaving the comfort zone is all the rage these days so here I am. I look forward to asking you questions that seem as silly to you as my parent’s computer questions seem to me.

And to leaving unsolicited tid bits about political science.

And to perhaps meet some of you at Heart of Clojure because why not go all in and in an enthusiastic bout of spontaneity buy conference and train tickets at 11 in the evening after working through some chapters of Getting Clojure and half a bottle of wine!

And I really hope my code is going to be less verbose than this introduction.

Cheers to all of you!

7 Likes

hi, i’m florian,

i live with my family near munich. there is mom, (baby?) girl ( almost 2 ) and dad, who is responsible for programming the VCR :-).
also we’re expecting our forth family member at the beginning of next year! ( finally!!! found a midwife too :-), so we’re ready :slight_smile: )

mom is a vet and i work for a very large insurance company with hq in munich as a java programmer.

i do like emacs and lisps a lot, in fact if you really wanted to, you could hear me talk for hours and hours about for example emacs lisp :-)… because i have created a youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgU5tUdVPpfM7sLAMWBTsDg - where i have a ton of videos,… not all of them about programming though… the video i like best is probably the one about classification…

anyway, since i like to learn about computers and programming and clojure etc. i have also this project - flitskaart.com - which is a flashcard app i have been working on for the last few months.

i’m usually just drinking water, sometimes coffee.

yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

2 Likes

Hi Andres. Welcome to the Clojure community. I’m also Colombian and I live in SF. It’s great to see that there’s some Clojurians out there. Feel free to reach out.

Hi, I’m Brandon. I live in Oregon, United States - originally from Louisiana. I’ve been using Clojure for almost a year full time / professionally, and probably a year or so before that just as a hobby (with the intention to make it my profession ;)).

I’m an independent contractor currently doing work for a company that provides social media services to the hospitality industry (mostly hotels and resorts). My partner and I have been developing a system for them to facilitate the creation of data pipelines. We’re on the data ops team, and we move a lot of data to and from social media networks.

We hope to use our know-how to eventually write a new system that will be open source, and provide a core framework for quickly building pipelines that can easily integrate with other systems, as well as an easy way for others to develop connections to new data sources. There are similar things out there, but we think ours can improve on the ideas of those systems.

On another note, I use Calva and VS Code for development. I’ve helped a little with Calva (mostly testing and feedback but one or two small contributions thus far), I very much enjoy it, and it’s improving quickly!

~ Happy Clojuring ~

3 Likes

Hello, Brandon!

Welcome to ClojureVerse. Enjoy your stay!

Teodor

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Andy Wootton, known to many as Woo. I live about 40 minutes from Birmingham in the West Midlands of England. I had about 5 years of programming experience in procedural languages in the mid 1980s before taking ‘a short break’ in systems management. More recently I’ve worked in agile teams as a product owner. I’m now writing a book. To help me, I looked for software tools and couldn’t find any I liked. I decided to write something. Problem: no up-to-date dev skills.

After a lot of research, I decided to learn Python then after about 2 days switched to Clojure, after attending an inspiring talk. I’ve been ‘playing at it’ for 2 or 3 years but I need to get serious. I’ve read a couple of books and I’m starting to dive into ClojureScript. I have no real OOP, database or web experience. It should be fun.

5 Likes

What was the inspiring talk? What aspects of the language encouraged the switch from Python?