Introduce yourself!

Ok, been lurking here on and off for a while :smile:

Hi, Iā€™m Rick.

your journey towards Clojure

Iā€™ve been programming since I was a kid with an Apple II+ (that was a very old computer, it was new at the time). So professionally for around 30 years. Almost exclusively on the backend of web things. I started working with clojure about 5 years ago when I joined Chartbeat (www.chartbeat.com). They had just adopted it and I had done a little bit of lisp in college so I wasnā€™t afraidā€¦ and it turns out that I found it refreshing after 25 years of OO.

the things youā€™re working on

We do a lot of stream processing ā€œbig dataā€. As the head of data engineering, I do a lot of plumbing. Kafka to HBase or wherever with clojure in the middle. I have a couple of open source libraries out there that are probably uninteresting to anybody else.

where youā€™re from or where you live

I live in New York City and Iā€™m from around here, but I went to school in Boulder, Colorado and lived there for a while.

you elsewhere on the web (home page, Twitter or Github account)

Iā€™m rmangi everywhere, the benefit of having a strange name.

github: https://github.com/rmangi
twitter: https://twitter.com/rmangi

how people can support you

Keep writing great software, sharing your ideas and being kind to others.

If you want to give me money for some reason, you should buy my wifeā€™s art. www.sarah-olson.com

any particular hobbies or interests

I have 3 amazing daughters and a fantastically talented wife. Other than that, I like to play D&D and watch soccer (football to everybody else) :slight_smile:

anything else you like to share

Every little thing, is gonna be alright.

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday last week. I went to 2 talks by the same person, Paul Williams. The first one covered language features and the REPL then a demo of a Re-Agent web app.
The second was called ā€˜Clojure all the way downā€™ and was a live-coding demo of a simlar ā€˜full-stackā€™ web application. I think it was the possibility of developing desktop and web apps in the same language without using JavaScript that persuaded me and I understood the implications of homoiconicity for the first time.

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™m Ivan, I live in Moscow, close to Garden ring. Big fan of birds, flowers, ocean, mountains, and Kenyan coffee beans.
I discovered Clojure in 2011 from Howard Lewis Ship (kudos) blog. Over time and a few Rich Hickey talks, I fell in love with it, its pragmatic pillars and the warm community.

I make Lightpad.ai, which is a new type of calendar with a timeline. Playable demo. Some people like it a lot, some donā€™t understand it at all. Itā€™s written, of course, in Clojure and ClojureScript. I pour tons of love and attention into it, so feedback is welcome in every form.

This year I also worked for JUXT on Crux team on a few parts yet to be announced. That was a breeze, enjoyed that, honestly! Iā€™m interested in using Crux for my needs and contributing more.

I also was lucky to be part of the team organizing Cloju.ru. Expect more Russian English Clojure talks on Youtube soon! :grin:

find me on:
twitter
github
personal UI / UX playground

Have a good one!

6 Likes

Iā€™m Stan. I live in Seattle Washington. I came to clojure around 2009 or 2010 so I was an early adopter, I guess. I was one of the early members of Seajure, the Seattle clojure meetup (though I havenā€™t been for awhile, Iā€™m afraid).

I came to clojure via a tech book group that Iā€™ve been meeting with for many years (15?!!, I think). I think we were discussing Stu Hallowayā€™s book; there werenā€™t many clojure books back in those days. I didnā€™t have any lisp background or anything but clojure still felt like a natural fit to me. I was already coding in a pretty functional style.

I suppose Iā€™m mostly a clojure hobbyist at this point. I do java and javascript in my day job but have managed to sneak some clojure code in from time to time. I work in the healthcare IT field. I have done some clojure-related blogging. Not much and nothing recent. Hereā€™s one from two years ago about something called Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers:

I was kicking the tires on the then new(ish) clojure.spec library.

As much as I like clojure, I am continually impressed by the clojure community even more. Iā€™ve always found everyone to be welcoming, friendly and thoughtful, though like most coding communities, we tend to skew a bit too white and male. I do appreciate the efforts of the community to improve this with things like ClojureBridge.

Iā€™m looking forward to engaging with the community here.

3 Likes

Iā€™m Andrew from Sydney, Australia.

I have an engineering management job and code mostly for fun. Iā€™ve written dodgy code in a lot of languages over the years (33 languages at last count). My Clojure journey started in the 1.1 days, before I moved to Racket, wrote some web apps in JS, learnt R for data analytics, explored Haskell and PureScript to better understand FP, then took curried functions and monads back to JS and Racket. When I needed a better graph library than whatā€™s in Racket, I decided to take Clojure (then at 1.9) for another spin (with Ubergraph). This time around itā€™s a lot nicer, and Iā€™m now using Calva over Vim.

Iā€™m currently trying to code up some strategy games in Clojure. Eventually, I want to hook up some reinforcement learning via MxNET or DL4J. I have bits of code up at Github.

Drinking black coffee, white tea, and hoppy or dark beers.

3 Likes

I am Fana. I live near Amsterdam, Netherlands.
I am a Marine Biologist. In my previous job I worked with data management and analysis.
I started programming with Javascript and Python. I didnā€™t stick with Javascript but I still use Python for data analysis.
My plan is to switch career and become a software developer. I am teaching myself Clojure. I am making a simple game to help me learn the language.

I would like to join active projects to learn and improve myself. I would also appreciate it if anyone can give me guidance on learning Clojure or share your learning methods and experiences.

I like longboarding, biking and hiking.

I have few projects on Gitlab.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Welcome to ClojureVerse, @alphajuliet and @jewiet!

1 Like

If you havenā€™t already, Iā€™d recommend either Getting Clojure or Living Clojure as good books to get into the language.

1 Like

Thank you @seancorfield for the recommendation.

Hello, Iā€™m Ben, from Israel.
Iā€™m a backend engineer, formerly an electrical engineer, and one day I realized I wanted to do functional programming for a living, preferably in lisp. I was lucky enough to find this opportunity and Iā€™ve been programming in Clojure for about a year. Iā€™ve been thinking a lot recently on building systems.
Iā€™m currently working on some opportunistic performance gains in core functions and on adding some idioms Iā€™ve been missing from core.async.

All of it can be found on my github

1 Like

Hello, Ben! Welcome to Clojureverse.

Interesting work about the fast core functions. I recall that @ikitommi brought forward merge as a performance sinner in his recent ClojuTRE 2019 talk. Your library seems to address that. Iā€™d be curious about how much of a speedup you get, perhaps compared to his performance numbers.

1 Like

Thank you!
You can see the results of all my benchmarks and experiments here, in particular for merge:

• merge 2 mapsL 506.583409 ns
  • inline merge 2 maps: 420.007590 ns
  • inline fast merge 2 maps: 344.121518 ns

with returns diminishing significantly for extra arities. Someone kindly opened an issue with an alternative implementation I want to bench as well. I was quite dissatisfied with the gains I managed to get with merge, while with get-in and select-keys I managed to get up 4-8x speedups.

1 Like

edit / update: got a baby boy :smile:

alsoā€¦ here is a link to a handful of ( non-computer-related ) poems i wrote: ( in Germanā€¦ kind ofā€¦ ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbOwmyV7W0s&list=PLFE5V2VWUSDQl_pbSJDHQ4LuY6CTwUD_k

Congratulations on the new family member! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Johanna.

Iā€™m from the UK.
I joined JUXT full time last summer, after completing a masters in Physics, this might have influenced the space themed Crux tutorials I wrote. Iā€™m lucky to be able to use Clojure every day at work.

My first taste of how welcoming the Clojure community is was at Heart of Clojure and then again at ClojuTRE.

I hope to be more active and get to know you all a bit more & look forward to seeing you all at XT20 this year.

I take my coffee black when Iā€™m tired, and my tea green when Iā€™m not.

8 Likes

Fana, Welcome!

Iā€™m working on an open source project called RiverDB thatā€™s intended to be a data management system for river (and potentially ocean) water quality data. The goal is to make it easier to enter, review, and publicly display basic info about the various data collected at monitoring sites for small groups that lack the financial re. Right now our focus is on rivers for a few local citizen science river groups. Iā€™m curious how the system could expand in the future to be usable for ocean science data. Perhaps youā€™d like to help or at least check it out for learning Clojure: https://gitlab.com/riverdb/riverdb

Thank you @thosmos for reaching out to me. I will have a look and get back to you.
Cheers!

Hello @thosmos , I am sorry I didnā€™t have time to have a look at your project. I will start my first clojure job in few days and i will be pretty occupied. Cheers!

Thatā€™s totally fine! Congrats on the job!

1 Like

Ahoy!

Iā€™m Yiwan, from China.
Iā€™ve using Clojure and ClojureScript for one year, pretty enjoy creating things with them.
Currently working on a side project (a online store help illustrator or mangaka selling thier works) which using DataScript, Om Next and datahike, hopefully it wil be online this year.

:bike: :coffee: :camera_flash:

4 Likes