Introducing the Temporal Web

During my self-funded sabbatical I’ve been exploring a new format for the Web. I call it the “temporal web”. It’s about adding time as a new dimension, that you can navigate the same way you navigate the screen with your cursors.

I’ve built a POC (with ClojureScript of course) and tried to explain the approach in this post: Web is Dead — Mirror

If you’ve built for the web and felt some of the frustrations mentioned in the article above: really looking forward to hearing your feedbacks! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The idea does look interesting, at least for some applications. I can see something like this working for an ecommerce site.
What confused me about the case-study was: you had an interaction with a component and non of that stayed in the history or was visible from the support site. Was that on purpose or just something that wasn’t implemented yet?

1 Like

i agree would be interesting for an e-commerce website — i was actually thinking of doing it as prototype number 2!

yes, not all interactions with the components are “logged”: let’s say you type into a text input you might not want to save it (or maybe you want), but in the “framework” you can decide or not to “save” an action from a component to the main “conversation” — if that makes sense?

ah, that makes sense. I was wondering if only the “simple” components could stay inside the chat, which would have been sad.
Good luck with the framework!

1 Like

Have you ever seen now closed Google Wave project? I think YouTube should have some screencast of it. It utilizes similar idea.

Web diversity indeed has it’s problems from usability POV. I think there should be some “minimal common UI denominator” each user knows how to use and which supported by every web-site. This will allow not only simplified interaction but will also allow to automate the interaction via smart tools like Google Assistant. Though in contrast of your idea I thought about some standard CLI-like commands protocol + client application (having command line and tiles with collected through the session data / widgets above) allowing user to interact with any site supporting the protocol and combine in one session widgets and information from many web sites.

1 Like

thanks for the tip! i just watched some videos about Google Wave, interesting to see they had some “temporality” in place as well: they called it “playback”

i get your idea as well, some sort of standard API for websites, so that you can “consume” them from any client. these clients with widgets that you’ve mentioned could be inside a temporal UI, that’d be interesting to imagine :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.